1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery Bass...Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Jun 1, 2004.

1. The other day I went to a gig of some band whose name I don't know - and the bassist was playing a Westone bass. I didn't have time to ask him what the model number was, but the Sound of it,, - honestly, I've never heard so much Punch coming out of a bass. Does anyone know what model it may be? - It was a black 5-string, 2 humbuckers (mid/bridge) - not sure which. I actually noticed when he was packing up that he had a fretless neck in the hard case (I guess as an alternative? - there was a slot for it...) - anyone know the model name or the name of a similar model by Westone?

2. Try this website...
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Lights/6961/westone/
    i don't know much about westone, but that rail bass looks like a great idea...i mean come on, one pickup that slides anywhere from the bridge to the neck position? thats a great idea...why haven't we thought of this before???

Charlie

3. Didn't Gibson make a bass with a sliding pickup years ago? Maybe it was the Ripper, I dunno.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and Spalt makes on that looks like a windshield wiper- the Spalt vViper

5. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    As I recall, the 4-string with interchangeable fretted and fretless necks was called the Westone Spectrum LX bass (might have been DX). Follow the website link above - list of guitars, then spectrum basses (wish I had kept it now). Never realized there was a 5 string version.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have a Spectrum bass with 2 necks. It is a 4 string.

Like JDGA fan said, I was not aware that this was ever offered in a 5 string.

7. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Charlie, the Rail may have seemed like a good idea but thats as far as it got, at the time my guitar player was playing a Steinberger and I picked up a headless Westone Rail (as a joke), people were lining up at break to see what the heck I was playing, I never got to sit down. I did put a EMG pickup in it and it sounded ok, but the neck was like a Baseball bat, fat and chunky only rubber like, it needed a carbon fiber neck or somthing like that. But as far as looks went, it was a bass fit for the Terminator.
    I sold it and got a Steinberger.

David T

8. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    many of the westone basses came with a fretted & a fretless neck (i think mine did but i bought it from a pawn shop, the alan key bolt that attaches the neck seems to have a bit of ware so...)

5 string... i belive they made a 5 string Westone GT Bass, great bass it was too... GT's put out a great tone.

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Apparently the site has been "deactivated due to inactivity".... :(

A mate of mine has a rather nice headless Westone 4-string that I'd (and he'd) be interested in getting more info on... not all that much info online about them.

Russ :bassist:

10. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
  11. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    It could also be a Pantera. As far as i know it was the only westone 5 string. It came in black or pearl white. I have a pearl white as a second bass. :bassist: But never heard of a stock fretless.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Grabber