1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery Bass Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by derrellvis69, Apr 8, 2009.

1. derrellvis69

derrellvis69

Aug 23, 2006
    Colorado
    Hey Gang,

I have a really strange bass issue that I can't seem to figure out on my own, nor have I found anything during my searches here on TB.

I have an active Zon bass, and I can't seem to get any tuner to work with the bass. I've replaced/swapped the battery, the cable, and tuner.

The catch to the issue is that I can plug my bass into a couple of different amps I have, and I get output.... :eyebrow: and it sounds great (It's a Zon), but the tuner issue is totally bugging me.

Has anyone else come across this issue or is it just me?

Thanks,

2. I have a really dumb but maybe really easy fix, I had this happen to me once on my Bantam, and I cranked the output up, and like magic, the tuner picked up my output, and started working.

It's a gimme, but figured I'd throw it out there, and get it out of the way.

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a problem with my classical guitar not registering with tuners unless I pluck really close to the bridge. Maybe you could try that

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Few questions:

*May we assume other basses work with the aforementioned tuners?

*Does the Zon have a passive bypass?

*Does the Zon have a gain potentiometer on the preamp?

Riis

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    How exactly is it not working? Do other basses work when YOU use the same tuner? Give us some data so we can help you learn to trouble shoot...

When I was in music retail the two biggest problems people had with using tuners was not sending a good strong signal to the tuner, and sending a confusing signal.

Turn the bass' volume control up all the way. Damp all the strings except the one you're tuning. Play a solid note and let the string vibrate. Don't be afraid of the 12th fret harmonic- if your strings are in good shape that harmonic IS EXACTLY one octave above the open string. Using the harmonic gives the tuner a higher sampling rate in order to count the vibrations, so that can help a lot on the lower strings. Also if the bas has active EQ, set it all flat- you don't want extra electrical noise confusing the tuners.

jte

6. derrellvis69

derrellvis69

Aug 23, 2006
    Colorado
    I've tried the following before I even posted the issue here on the forums:
    "3" different tuners
    12th fret harmonics
    tweaking eq settings from flat, to cut, to boost
    turning volume all the way up
    replacing batteries in tuners and on-board preamp
    tested all pots with a multimeter for current & continuity
    several different instrument cables (Bayou Cables) Butch Rocks!!

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds like you've covered most of the bases (excuse the pun). Try this: plug your bass into the amp and run a line from your "effects send" (or similar output) to the tuner. Does it now register? From what I've read, it appears as if there may be a problem with gain structure.

Riis

8. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    My Zon wouldnt work with a wireless once and it had something to do with the battery power overloading something else. The tip and sleeve or ring was touching something else... hope that helps.

It was a sennheiser wireless G3