1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Mystery Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JonnyAngle, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    The infamous mystery bass...

It's a P Bass that I got on CL. It's got a new set of DR Lo Riders (nickel 100's).

What's up with the wiring?
    • The pickup is wired directly to the output jack. This think has some zing! There are some pots in the control cavity, but they were broken when I got the bass.

What's it weight?

• I'm guessing 15 lbs. IT IS NOT LIGHT AT ALL!

Brand, Make, Model, Year?
    • The guy I bought it from got it at a yard sale 20 -30 years ago. That is the answer to all 4 questions.

I added a sheet of wood to where a person would normally shim the neck to lower the action (not pictured)

Yep... $old

20130727_165633.

20130727_165607.

20130727_165601.

20130727_165547.

20130727_165528.

20130727_165512.

20130727_165451.

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    What is the white line running the periphery? Is the body a three piece sandwich or is it just a painted stripe?

Also, are those strap lock buttons on that thing?

3. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Schaller Strap Lock buttons

The "lighter tan" line appears to be either a 3 piece sandwich or an inlay of some sort. There isn't a piece in the wood where I can see the lamination. It is below the neck heel and I haven't taken the PG off to look.

There is some fret buzz on 12th fret G string. I haven't put any attention to it, but I can if requested. Disclosure: I am not a luthier

4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    It looks exactly like my late 60s Kay P copy. Plywood neck, laminate in body woods, heavy weight, 6 bolt neck, bridge and covers.... everything is the same except my truss cover said "Kay". Mine was an eBay purchase for around 30 bucks. It had a twisted neck and I had to (like you) add a thin sheet of wood to the neck pocket to get the allparts neck elevated to the right position.

5. Wow. From the pictures, it looks a like the whole bass is made of mahogany or padauk. No wonder it's heavy.

6. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    I've got some local interest and if that doesn't happen I'm going to part this baby out.

7. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    What is the scale length on this?

8. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN

9. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.