1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cade1215, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Where it was manufactured

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. When it came from

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cade1215

Cade1215 Commercial User

Dec 29, 2017
    Screenshot_2017-12-29-00-34-20. I picked up this bass because i thought it looked really nice and it plays well. I noticed the pickups on it looked vintage so i think it's pretty dated. I was wondering if i could get anything on where it came from and when was made, anything you guys think would help, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  3. Five-screw neck = good. Gold foil pickups (I think; hard to tell from the pics) = very good. Probably heavy as heck = not so good.

These were the first Jaguar basses. I had the short-scale single-pickup version as early as Feb. 1966. Also made were single- and double-pickup up versions based on the second-generation Fender P.

4. I agree (more or less) with Stumbo: it looks like it could be an old Japanese bass, either Teisco or some other company. Hard to tell, though. It's hard to make out details in some of the pictures (the pick guard looks like a mirror and it's hard to see the controls clearly) and there are no close-ups of important parts like the pickups, controls, bridge, and neck plate. More pics would help.

5. It is Japanese, circa 1965-69. It also is one of countless "badged" import basses from that era, sent to U.S. distributors with their house brand logo stuck on them. Many Japanese factories were involved in this market.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Definitely MIJ.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Does that say “steel reinforced neck” on the neck plate?
    Definitely an old Japanese bass, like already said probably late 60’s. It could be one of a hundred different brand names that were slapped on those.
    Might be able to narrow it down with more research, but def start with TEISCO.

Either way, enjoy it!! Some of those old Japanese Basses are a lot of fun to play. I think it’s good to have a variety of Basses, you never know when that little guy will have just the “thump” you’re looking for!

8. A Google Images search suggests a Guyatone or Orpheus badge is most likely. But the Orpheus would be Japanese, not the more common Bulgarian one.

Korladis likes this.
  9. I voted: Where it came from. :roflmao:

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    This was a common Japanese model in the mid-60s, and several manufacturers made versions off the same template - Guya, Matsumoku, Kawai at least.

Here's a Domino:

4589949DominoBass_full.

Howard:

2306987howard.

Tempo (rocker switches replaced):

9147141tempo.

These don't have the older "goldfoil" pickups, but are otherwise identical.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  11. That looks like my first bass except mine was a single pickup but a double pickup model was also made. Mine had no name on it like your's, but when anyone asked i used to say it was a Howard, any name was better than none. I bought mine in 1967-68 from a friend's older brother for 25 bucks which took me forever to pay off, didn't sound too for what it was, I hitchhiked to Ca with it on my back with no case and left it there, breaks my heart:laugh:.