Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by saddleboat, May 11, 2001.

1. saddleboat

saddleboat

May 11, 2001
    just found a cool looking cheap bass but alas no name. Anybody recognize this one?

2. ....nice two strings there.....

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Eko maybe? Vox? Brad Johnson'll probably know.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Eko, probably.

Will C.:cool:

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I saw a bass recently that looked exactly the same....with the name "Telestar" on the headstock.
    It could actually be one of several names, as these were manufactured under MANY names.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's pretty much how I remember things, too. Back then lots of companies put their label on several generic basses. Could be a Western Auto house brand for all I know;)

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it could be useful see the headstock. eko basses had that strange scroll headstock and the eko logo was on the scrachplate.

8. saddleboat

saddleboat

May 11, 2001
    Thanks for all the response. Here photo of headstock.

9. BOXHEAD

BOXHEAD

Oct 3, 2000
    I have a bass that is identical and mine is an eko so I'd say that your's is proberly the same, I got mine cheap aswell but it is bloody nice

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    That's pretty much a generic headstock. It could be an Apollo...or any number of brands. Some were decent basses and some....well.....not so good. :)

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm not sure about that, but i think that eko basses had a diferent headstock model.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's a Univox from the 70's. To compare, go to www.guitarville.com/inv Click on "Bass" in the upper left hand corner and then click on the "Univox violin bass 1970's" link for a pic.

That should end the "mystery." :D

13. saddleboat

saddleboat

May 11, 2001
    I offer a couple more photos of the mystery bass. Has some features same as the univox but am not absolutely convinced.

14. saddleboat

saddleboat

May 11, 2001
    mystery bass photo

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

saddle - Did you look at the site I posted? It's there.