Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sailor, Jun 20, 2001.

1. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    About a year ago, a fellow came into our local music shop trying to sell a bass. It looked pretty crummy (still does) but the action was ok and I gave him $70 bucks for it. I have played it out a few times and call it my grunge bass. My question is does anyone know what type of bass it is. Here is the description: Four strings, body shape is similar to Epiphone EB-O or EB-3 SG with double cutaway, one pickup, volume and tone control only, Aria Pro II tuners, and the following on the head- CSB-380 Model. It says made in Japan on the back and has a 7 digit number also. The young guy who had it had tried to paint it and all traces of the original finish are gone. It has a bolt-on neck with four bolts. It really looks terrible, but it plays in tune and the action is actually ok. This is the perfect bass to hand someone when they want to sit in! Does anyone know what this bass is? I suspect Epiphone but I do not know where they are made. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I think it might be a "Columbus" model 380.
    They were a Japanese firm that produced fairly decent copies of Fender and Gibson products.

3. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks Paul: Do you have any idea when these basses where made. I call this one a 30 ft. bass. It looks ok as long as you are at lease 30 feet away.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I think probably early seventies,a guy I know has a Columbus SG copy that he bought secondhand in about 1975.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    suggestion:

Post a picture of the infamous 30 foot bass.

6. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Hello: I would post a picture if I had a digital camera. Us old folks have a hard time with this new fangled stuff!

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :DLMAO:D

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Awww, come on gramps.

Go down to CompUSA or whatever the local varient of that, buy a $40 digital camera, and leave the stone-age behind.

9. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Gabu you may be right. I started looking at Digital cameras last night and may grab me one. Maybe a Sony that uses regular floppies for storage. If I get one I will post the a picture of the mystery bass.

Ps If your picture is any indication, these cameras must be very well made in order to take that kind of abuse!

10. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Scotland,
    ROFL!!!!

Hmm.. has anyone noticed, that i you try to prenonce 'rofl'.. you get ROFFLE? :D

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey man! :D Modern technology, what can I say?

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Gabu,
    From the looks of your avatar, I'm not sure you're too comfortable with "modern technology" ; ).
    Was that shot taken while you were tryin to load the film?

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Neah... Wifey wanted to snap a pic, so I made sure to smile pretty. :D