Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacko spades, Jan 14, 2006.

1. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    What is this bass made of? It was my first bass and It's still my main gigger but I have no idea what it's made out of. I'm not sure if it's even wood. It's a Carvin. I'm not sure how old it is, I got it off Ebay about a year ago. It's very rough but not abrasive. Feels almost plasticy. It's pretty much impossible to ding of scratch. It's VERY light. Probably the lighest bass I've ever played. It's got a growly tone. I looked on the carvin website but I didn't see any option that looked remotely close to this. The headstock has a thin veneer of this material over wood. :help: :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there's some pics for posterity

2. Usually Carvin basses are either Poplar, or Alder bodies. It could also be Swamp Ash. They didn't start using Ash until about 2001 I believe, and your bass looks older than that, so it's probably either of the of the first two woods I mentioned. Carvin's are great basses, enjoy yours!!

3. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    thanks, A friend said it might be poplar, but I was wondering if it might be that plasticy material all the way through, because it has a few rather deep gauges but they don't go down to any wood, and the electronics compartment is covered in that weird foil stuff they use to block interference, and the places that aren't covered with that stuff are blue and plasticy.

4. Yeah Carvin tends to use really thick veneers on their basses. I think the name of your finish is Prismatique or something. It's a discontinued color.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    where is the headstock decal? it makes me think that this was a kit. they do have a harlequin prismatique color now, but it doesn't look like that.

6. it's a bolt-on kit from Carvin with the durable finish...most likely the body wood is alder.

7. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    It could be a kit, but the finish is really bumpy - there's no way a decal would stick - almost like the texture on your ceiling (if you have a textured ceiling) - I really don't think it was the prismatique, but idk - it's hard ot tell in the pic but those are flecks of white - not sparkles, and I'm still not totally convinced it's wood. I'm thinking of taking the pickups out to see (needs new strings anyway). but I've never done that before. Are they hard to put back in and will it change anything about the sound if you don't put them in just right?

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    if it's a Carvin, it's made out of wood.

if you take out the pickups you will have to adjust the pickup height to the same position as it is in now. it looks like a newer model (kit?) because of the bridge. and the preamp looks funky.

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Take a pickup off, is it finished under there?

edit: somebody beat me to it!

10. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    you guys rock, thanks for the imput.

How would I make sure the pickup is at the same height it was before - do I just eyeball it or is there some trick to it?

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    eyeball.

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

use a ruler :)

13. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    probably poplar or ash...

14. I thought they discontinued that color last year?

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Is it a bolt on? hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it is, that would reinforce the kit posibility. The preamp looks about right to me, but I don't follow them too closely. 5 knobs and a coil tap for the humbucker is (or at least was) their active module. Here's MGood's bass with a similar layout, but with 2 J type PUPs there's no coil tap switch:

[​IMG]

If the finish is bumpy I doubt it's a factory finish either way, Carvin would have figured a way to get the headstock labeled. It looks to me like it's those textured paints you can get at hobby stores, or if it were made by someone who has pro painting equipment, I've seen where they've sprayed raw cement walls with a very durable textured paint similar to that.