1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sneakypete, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    A friend and former bandmate has bought a Precision copy, dark sunburst with "Made in Japan" on the neck plate but reads only "Mi Electric Bass" on the headstock.He's a guitarist and has bought it for his home studio. I haven't seen it myself but apparently it sounds good, the neck is perfect and the intonation spot-on. I suggested it might be something to do with Matsumoku but I've never heard of "Mi" so can anyone throw any light on this? He paid just £110 including a Gator hard case in a local music shop. Any info much appreciated.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It's very hard to give any information without pictures.

It sounds like the name sticker may be missing a piece. I'm not sure if Mi is a brand of bass (but who knows). It sounds like it may be a Matsumoku product. As long as it plays well and was priced right, why worry about it.

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Minns was a US importer brand built by Matsumoku.

4. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks guys - like you say it's how the thing plays that's important but i just wondered if there was some obscure brand I'd never heard of!