Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mystery bassist help......

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mikgag, Aug 6, 2003.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    This is going to be very vague, but here it goes. Awhile back I was flipping through TV and caught some sort of "behind the music" kinda documentary on Faith Hill. No idea what channel or what it was called. It was basically a documentary on the making of one of her albums. Anybody know who the bassist was and what gear(amp/cabs) he was using???......I know.....pretty vague huh?.....

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Her regular band features Trey Grey (drums), Steve Hornbeak (keyboards), Tom Rutledge (guitar, fiddle), Anthony Joyner (bass), Lou Toomey (lead guitar), Karen Staley (guitar, vocals) and is masterminded by dobro and steel guitarist Gary Carter.

Hope this is the guy you're talking about.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it could also be keith horne, couldn't it?

4. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002

I'm pretty sure that's him.....and it looks like Eden stuff to me. Thanks!!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, you're right! Couldn't mistake him though. He plays lefty(upside down righty bass)! and is a frikkin' monster on the bass to say the least!

[​IMG]

6. Yes, and I read in BP that he isn't even left-handed! :eek:

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I read an artical with Rick Emmett from Triamph in Guitar Player Mag back in the 80's (before we had Bass Mags :eek: ). He stated that he was lefty but was forced to learn righty... he felt having your dominant hand as your fretting hand to be an advantage.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Interviewer: Now we definitely have to discuss your mind-boggling technique. You certainly have a very unorthodox and truly unique approach to playing the bass. How exactly did that come about?

KH: I am a totally right-handed person but play bass, guitar, and steel guitar left-handed! It's pretty much been a mystery all my life. I started trying to play guitar right-handed when I was 6 but couldn't get the hang of it so my dad switched the strings around on a right-handed guitar to see if I could play it that way. Well, in two weeks I was playing tunes! I played drums right-handed, but when our bass player started leaving his bass at our house for rehearsals, I got interested in bass. I couldn't restring his bass because it wasn't mine so I learned to play it upside down with the E-string on the bottom. I kept playing like that and never switched to playing totally left-handed. It's a very different sounding way of playing for sure. You tend to play lines almost opposite of what a right-handed player would because of your high strings being on the top instead of the bottom. Most people are so curious about how I slap and pluck playing that way. I still slap with my thumb and pluck with my index finger, it's kind of a swooping motion! I used to slap years ago with my hand and pluck with my thumb, but it didn't have the right sound to me.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my uncle jack is a professional bass player, plays that way also, lefty strung righty. he has the only lefty kubicki that phil kubicki ever made, to the best of my knowledge (lefty body, righty neck).

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Jazz guitarist George Van Epps, also a Lefty that played righty, also felt that having your most dexterous hand on the fretboard was the correct way to play.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No.
    TMK, Horne has been with Tanya Tucker, Waylon Jennings, Trisha Yearwood, & Garth.

Joyner was inteviewed by Bass Player awhile ago...he stated that he was a player in the Wooten-mold, though nobody would know that.
    He's in Faith's "Hey, Baby Let's Go To Vegas" video.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Keep in mind, mikgag is asking about someone who is on one of her albums. As is the norm for most Nashville/Country artists, they most often don't use the guys from their touring bands when recording (Anthony Joyner laments this in his Bass Player interview). It might be Anthony, but more then likely it's one of Nashville's top guys like, Glenn Worf, David Hungate, Micheal Rhodes, Dave Pomeroy, etc. that is actually on the album.