Mystery Blemishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lenorules1950, Oct 7, 2005.

1. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Who here has found scratches, dents, etc on their instruments and you have NO idea how they got there? A couple months ago, I got home from a gig and found about an inch gouged from the finish of my Les Paul bass, close to the neck joint- and I have no idea how a chunk like that could have been taken from there.
  2. wear a belt?

I find that is what does it to mine. Though it is ligt scratching but a big jolt could take a chunk out.

I don't wear a belt anymore
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I once came back from work and noticed a pretty nasty ding in the back of my (wood necked) Status' maple neck roughly at the height of the 4th fret. I really have no clue how it got there and I really hate dings in the neck as they really ruin the smooth feel of the neck. :crying:

My dog probably must've jumped on the back of the neck with her nasty claws, I have no other explanation for this. I really shouldn't have "parked" the bass on my bed, now it stays in its gig bag when I'm not playing it.
  4. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I've jammed my headstock into the wall twice.

once into the ceiling fan. Yes, it was on.
  5. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I got a similar little dent on the back of my neck (same fret, too) but I did it when the bass fell from the stand and caught the legs of the high hat stand on the way down. To ease the pain, I think of it as a 3-D fret marker for my thumb.
  6. The very day I brought my metallic blue Chapman Stick home (about 15 years ago) it fell off the stand and keeled over... right into the sharp edge of my turntable which has a very heavy metal base. That put a nice ding on the edge of the fretboard. Despite Emmett's expert and helpful advice I just couldn't bring myself to fill, paint and sand it. I'm a hack when it comes to stuff like that. Thankfully it's pretty minor.

Of course when the latches on the old blonde case failed and my '62 P-bass clattered down 25 or so concrete steps there wasn't a mark on it. Go figure...

Of course these weren't "mystery" blemishes as I knew what happened.