1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery Build Thread- Give Me Ideas!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackn1202, Dec 14, 2018.

1. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Howdy folks! I've got a bass kit coming in the mail around March, and while I don't want to give too much away I'm looking for ideas. It's a pretty uncommon shape from a very common brand. Mine will be a 34" scale, 2+2 headstock, single MM style pickup, and hopefully some sort of variable switching. That's all I've got so far.

I'm looking for a few ideas here. Help me out, please! No idea is a bad idea, I'm looking for every wacky thing y'all can come up with.

As far as finish goes, I want something crazy. Out there. Chrome hardware for now, but I may invest in a powder coater and paint the hardware matte or satin black if I decide it needs it. I prefer dark, strong finishes. The best thing I've come up with so far is to burn the body a little bit and then coat the burn gouges with electric blue epoxy, ebonize the rest of the wood, then clearcoat it. If anybody else has any finish ideas they've always wanted to see but never tried, throw 'em out.

I'm also looking for passive switching ideas to make things more interesting. So far all I have is a series/parallel switch, vol, and tone. I might could isolate the coils for a single coil mode as well. That'd be interesting. Any other PASSIVE circuitry tricks y'all can think of, lemme hear 'em. Note: must be passive.

I'll update y'all as I get information myself, but I won't reveal what the bass actual is gonna be for awhile. I'm not just building a bass, I'm building suspense :smug:

JRA likes this.
  2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    The coil isolation option is pretty cool. You may want to put that on a dedicated switch, rather than a push/pull, or use a high quality push/pull.

Since you want to be outrageous, yet passive, what about an option for 2 or even 4 channel output? The infamous Guild Starfire modded by what became Alembic was set up this way, with each string running to a separate 32' stack of cabs.

jackn1202 likes this.
  3. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    That sounds ridiculous :roflmao: so you're saying that each string had its own output jack? As in you would need four different amps to play a song? Good grief! :laugh: I'll keep that one in mind, but unfortunately I only have one amp :smug:

4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Yeah, that actually happened. Each string was run to a separate, 32' tall stack of 1x15 cabs. You can see photos of this in Grateful Dead searches - I think it was called "The Beast", that PA system -

You would want to be able to sum the 4 outputs to 1 for standard use.

Such an insane setup would open up insane options. I can see a real use for it in solo bass recording. You could have each string panned differently, and each string could potentially have a different FX chain. It would be very interesting to hear some tapped, melodic, classical-esque bass playing with the strings panned hard in the mix.

5. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    That's crazy... Maybe I could set it up where I have five total outputs and then there be a switch that flips between having them go to the individual outputs or all to the single. Crazy stuff!

6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    it would be cool if the pickup could be wired and switched Series, Parallel, isolated single coils, P, and Reverse P

7. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I'm intrigued. How would I isolate the individual magnets on an MM pup? If I could that'd be super neat.

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Im not sure it can even be done...the pickup would have to be divided in 4 quadrants somehow

9. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    So you suggested P and reverse P, how would that be done? Or were you just thinking out loud

'Cuz if it could be done, it'd be pretty neat. I just don't know how to do it.

10. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Man, anyone out there got crazy ideas they were didn't want to risk themselves but wanted to see tried? I know those people exist...

11. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Bump because I need ideas.