1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kmozmorris, May 21, 2019.

1. Kmozmorris

Kmozmorris

May 21, 2019
    Hi all

Anyone any idea what this cabinet is? Has no details or labelling anywhere .

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What size speaker does it have?

3. Kmozmorris

Kmozmorris

May 21, 2019
    15 inch

4. Kmozmorris

Kmozmorris

May 21, 2019
    Cheers, any idea on loading and power handling?

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Trace Elliots naming convention was (driver size, number of drivers, impedance), so I believe that is a 1518.

All the links I have found associated with a similar image say it's rated for 200 or 300W, but I don't believe it has the original OEM driver so you never know. I am by no means an expert on that vintage of TE, but I believe the original driver was a Celestion that looked like this (notice the diameter and shape of the dust cap).
    [​IMG]

hintz likes this.
  6. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I don't know of any with the 3 ports, send pic to TE and ask them...possibly a 1-off or custom job.
    Rock on.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have not been able to find another cabinet like this that with 3 ports. Wondering if this is a modified Trace cab? If that's a 15" speaker, then the cabinet looks to be around 19" tall, so definitely not a 1518.

Downunderwonder and LBS-bass like this.
  8. Kmozmorris

Kmozmorris

May 21, 2019
    Thanks everyone for your assistance

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Okay, the first time I clicked the image it was too small to really see. I just clicked it again and it loaded a full size image. My best guess is it is a 1153 (the small cab) with an aftermarket driver and an added port. If you look closely, the two bottom ports look faded, and the top port looks brand new.

Here's an image of a 1153 with the original driver I found for comparison,
    [​IMG]
    and one with a replacement driver.
    [​IMG]

The dust cap of the original driver had Trace Elliot written on it twice in white text. The text is what forms the white circle in thee middle of the dust cap.

hintz likes this.
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    4 or 8 ohm. And it’ll take “some” Watts. :)

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

It's definitely not that. The OP's cab has a red stripe at the top as well, plus the top edge of the speaker extends up past the edge of the grille. That cab looks to be 6-8 inches taller than the OP's cab.

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I still think it's a 1153, but your points on the variances in the photos I provided are valid. That doesn't mean all of them are not in fact 1153s. Trace used the same model for various vintages of speaker cabs and often the specs changed. Given the replacement driver and added port, the model probably doesn't really help much anyway.

There are other images of 1153s with no stripes that appear to have the same dimensions as the OP's cab. I believe the dimensions of this one are closer, but probably still not exact...the port diameter seems larger.

upload_2019-5-21_15-51-33.

14. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I was thinking that top port looked out of place

Now without any knowledge of the old Trace stuff, did they make a 112? Could this be a 115 crammed in a 112 enclosure, with added port "to let it breathe better" ?

Complete speculation.

But if it's cheap and actually performs/sounds good why not?

15. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada

I had an older 1153. Two ports. There were rubberized plastic port covers to tune the cab to your liking. No red stripe. Pre- rat fur greenish Kevlar style tolex. Breathe on it and it ripped. It was 8 ohms, Kevlar impregnated 15, 200 watts, I believe. No tweeter. It had 1/4" inputs, and an XLR input. Got it when I worked in a music store that was a Trace dealer. The only reason I don't still have it- was the lack of an HF driver. It was a fairly decent cab. I had the same size matching Trace 2-10. I did NOT like that overpriced cabinet at all. The RAH 350 SMX I paid a huge amount of money for, was a mistake, too. What seemed like premium gear, turned out to be highly overrated.

AudioTaper and Wasnex like this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It sounds like just you're not a Trace Elliot man. I gigged a beat up AH350SMX for a year or two in the mid 90s and loved it! To me, old Trace heads were remarkable in that they could simultaneously get a fat and articulate tone. The one thing I didn't love was the weight. I think the AH350SMX was the heaviest solid-state amps I have ever used.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  17. The proportions are all wrong for a 1153.

The port flanges look modern with their fancy curves. Trace ones say Trace Elliot on them also.

Kaman era Celestions have the Trace etc ring of text on the dust cap. Afaik they are the only ones with it.

Red stripes came and went and came back so I gave up trying to date things off it.

I am going with short run or custom build then modded.

agedhorse likes this.
  18. Those are 1518 cabs.

19. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    It was 1993. I had just moved to Reno, NV. from Brooklyn, N.Y. I brought my pre-Trace Marshall 3540 bi-amp head, one bass, and some tools. Everything else was in storage at my friend's- or sold. I owned four cabs in the early 90's. A Hartke 4-10, a Peavey 1516, a killer Sunn 118VH, and a home built 1-15 folded horn, that really sounded great.
    I had the Sunn 1-18 shipped out here. Sold or traded the other cabs. I got a gig in a local store fixing guitars and basses, and string basses.
    As mentioned, they were a TE dealer. I was actually really happy to get the Trace gear at slightly over cost. The head STILL cost me $1300. A lot of money back in 1993. The 2-10, about 450, and the 115- about 350. I liked the rig at first...but quickly found the shortcomings of low wattage. It never really sounded like what I thought its potential was. I liked my old, now broken and irreparable Marshall better. Traces were indeed flexible, but I knew that what I needed for my sound, at the time, was more clean power. I sold the head and the 2-10. Took a pretty fair loss on that stuff.
    The store was also a Mackie Dealer. I got a first run M-1400 power amp, and an SWR Grand Prix preamp from a friend, used. Man, what an amazing difference.
    Subsequently, after tiring of lugging that anvil in its road case around, I bought a rare Pearce B2P. I still have the Pearce. One of the best bass amps ever made. But it is not a good adjust on the fly amp on gigs. Too many overlapping parametric points and adjustment knobs. It does, however, have the absolute BEST limiter I have ever heard in any bass amp. I currently own a Carvin BX 1500 among other amps. That amp, is what the Trace should have been. A flexible, much more powerful amp with all the same features. The BX is remarkably similar to the RAH 350 SMX I had. But its actually a bi-amp/ two power section amp. I'm not really a Carvin guy, either.. but I now own two cabs and two heads. Of course, now they stop making them!

20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My guess is it HAD a tweeter, which got blown, and someone drilled an extra port there, thinking it'd give them more low end. Randomly adding ports doesn't actually do that - it's likely got worse low end due to that "addition".