Mystery "Crown" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Calling all those with and extensive knowlege of rare basses....
    Here it is. I have no pictures, but I am looking for info on a bass I have. It is a short scale Viola bass
    It is a hollowbody of similar shape to an Epiphone viola bass. It has a white body binding, and has f holes. It has volume and tone controlls, a thumbrest on the opposite side of the strings, no pick gaurd, a vertically adjustable wooden bridge and trapieze tailpiece. It has a scroll in the top of the neck that looks like one off an old ampeg. It says it is made in Japan, and the emblem just above the nut says "Crown Professionsal" The pickups are 2 single coil pups that are entirely chrome on the sides and stick about an inch up from the body.

I realize this is an entirely unique bass, and I am looking for any info about it.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have heard of that "Crown" model but never seen one. However, my first electric bass was a Crown, made in Japan, which I bought in the mid-sixties, around 64 I believe. The Crown bass I bought was also available from Lafayette Electronics (think Radio Shack of the sixties)

I have seen basses exactly like the one I owned (and the one I bought a couple years ago that is its twin) with different names on them, so I suspect Crown was just one of the names the Japanese manufacturer and/or its distributors put on their basses. Sorry I don't have any real details, just some memories and suppositions.