1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery Fender Precision bass model solved (mostly . . .)!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockdoc11, Jul 25, 2012.

1. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Yesterday I posted a question asking for help in identifying an unusual Fender Precision bass.

Several of you were good enough to suggest that it was probably a parts bass.

I went back to check it out again today, and liked so much I bought it (price disclosure towards the end). Here's what I found out.

1. The neck is "Allparts licensed by Fender" (burned into the butt end).

2. The body: I don't know? It has a date on it stamped April 28 1998, along with other markings. USA? MIM?

3. The bridge: I don't know. Any help?

The overall bass plays great. The only weak point is the "Licensed by Schaller" tuners, which feel flimsy. All else is great.

The best part was the price. I walked out the door with the bass (which had new strings) in a Fender gig bag for $172. They still had the original price tag on it of $450.

So . . . score!

Attached Files:

2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    In case anyone wants to see the final product after a bit of clean up.

Attached Files:

3. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Nice score. If you don't like the bridge replace it with a badass (correct model of course) or another aftermarket bridge.

4. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That bridge looks like the ones from the American Standard basses of the late 1990's. The body looks to be MIM. Great score!

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Nothing wrong with those Allparts necks. They go for about what you paid for the bass. is it a little chunky front to back? They are solid and stable and the fretwork is pretty good right out of the box. I touched up the fret ends on mine and rolled the edges a bit.

6. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Correction: With that channel for truss rod adjustment that may just be a USA American Standard body from the late 1990's. I did not see the string through body ferrules and it would make sense with that bridge. Nice!!

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, it looks like a USA; you can see the through body holes in the bridge closeup.