1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery Flats (w/black silks)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    So I got this 1998 DeArmond Starfire II a little while back... I was going to string it up with some Pyramid Gold flats, but by golly... whatever these strings are that came on it are simply fantastic. So smooth, (although that may be from just being played-in) and the tension is perfect for short-scale.

They have black silks, but only at the end, none at the ball end. They also have a very small gauge core. I also like how the afterlength at both ends works well for the short-scale Starfire.

2017-12-19 09.27.05.jpg

2017-12-19 09.28.32.jpg

Any idea what they might be?

Thanks!

2. The only flats I know that have black silk only at the tuner end is the La Bella 760FS (45-65-85-105). And they're generally known for their silky smooth surface.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They look like the Beatle bass specific set with the thin ends for Hofner tuners.

EdwardofHuncote and SLaPiNFuNK like this.
  4. An excellent point about the thin ends. Now that you mentioned it, they don't look like the regular 760FS in that regard.

@Gorn for the win! :thumbsup:

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlops have black silks, but I don't think they make short scale.

6. Dunlop flats also have black silk at the ball end.

EdwardofHuncote and mmbongo like this.
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    This. 760FHBB set. 50-105

Actually... They have 4 and 5 string short and medium scale sets. Only one dealer has them so far but he hasn't gotten around to announcing it yet. They are on his site though.

8. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks fellas. Figured you guys would know. :thumbsup:

Well, I'll say this much - I REALLY like 'em. Much smoother and feel like less tension than Pyramids.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021