1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jazztonebass, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Just acquired a used Lakland that came with some really nice flats on it. The seller did not know what brand they are. They have black silks and are super smooth.

Any thoughts on what brand they may be?

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Black silk on both ends can be Dunlop, black silk at tuners only can be Labella.
    Pics would help.

Root 5, quickfix and michael_t like this.
  3. ^^^This.

Specifically, La Bella 760FS (45-65-85-105) are the ones with black silk only at the tuner end.

quickfix likes this.
  4. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    OK... I will post pics in the morning. Thanks for the help.

shawshank72 likes this.
  5. La Bella 760FS and Dunlop Flats are the only two with black silk that I know of. So, it's just a question of whether they have silk at the ball end or not.

By the way, the description "super smooth" applies more to the La Bella than the Dunlop.

Root 5 and quickfix like this.
  6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Indeed. La Bellas are crazy smooth. I was also wondering if his strings might be Sadowsky? I seem to recall them having black silk.

7. The Sadowsky Black Label Flats 40-100 I once used had medium gray silk, not black.

8. This is incorrect. The Dunlop are much smoother than LaBella. I have both brands in my hand as I type this.
    Dunlop are smooth like Fender 9050 flats.

9. Interesting you say that...

I've used both La Bella 760FL and Fender 9050CL and find the LBs smoother. It's all subjective, of course... ;)

Root 5 likes this.
  10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Post-2010, light green silk at both ends, coloured ball-end Fender 9050's aren't especially smooth (OK, they're not rough either), so if Dunlops are like them touch-wise that's not saying a whole lot; old Fender flats I don't have experience with, but I do seem to have read those were very smooth.

michael_t likes this.
  11. well they are all pretty close to each other. Yes all fairly subjective.
    The Dunlops , to me, are a bit better in tone and feel, than all the others I have used in the past. ( Dunlop..LaBella..Fender... GHS... )
    They just perform better all around. From fresh to broken in the tone is easy to control. They can do a modern sound and they can do old school.
    The B string is not tapered like LaBella and Fender ...it is normal wrap at the ball end. And the B string is much better than the GHS B string. I did not like the GHS B string very much.
    The tension is just right.. not too soft and not too stiff. The feel is nice and smooth, and the black silks top it all off.

12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I find La Bella to be the smoothest feeling of all flat manufacturers. I do like the feel of the new Fender flats however.

I was in a high end store several months back and able to compare GHS, Thomastik Infeld, Pyramid, and La Bella flats at the same time. La Bella was the smoothest feeling by far.

michael_t likes this.
  13. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Given the descriptions, I believe the mystery string is LaBella.

So, why is not a good idea to string them through the body? Mine are strung through the bridge but my Lakland has the capacity for body string through. Not a good idea?

14. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Those strings (and most flatwound strings in general) are pretty rigid. There is a good chance stringing them through the body, with the sharp angled turn crossing the bridge, could result in breaking strings. LaBella in particular sells some flatwound strings that are designed for through-body stringing as well, if you order that option. See, for example:

La Bella Deep Talkin' Flat Wound Bass Strings - 4 String Set 45-105 Standard