1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mystery fret buzz/rattle that wont go

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smit_Dogg, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

May 17, 2009
    Cumbria, UK
    Ive recently developed a rattling/fret buzz sound on my Warwick Corvette $$. I changed the strings, cleaned up the neck with lemon oil, and polished the frets with a mild abrasive before i went to record at a studio, I didn't adjust anything besides the intonation. I got to the studio and the damn thing was buzzing like hell (lucky i brought my trusty Ibanez along with me!), I noticed it was particuarly bad around frets 3 to 5 on the E and A strings, but more so along the A string. i put my old strings back on and the problem still exists, i have been playing with the truss a little (I havent gone crazy on it, I've loosened more than tightened) to see if it makes a difference, but the buzz is constant and doesnt change one bit. I also noticed that the bolts on my guitars neck were loose (which ive tightened but didnt change anything), and the bushes on the E and A string machine heads dont seem to tighten when the strings are slackened, as if the thread is damaged. Although when the strings are tuned up to the correct pitch they seem solid and dont lose any pitch. Could this be the problem? Loose hardware ? I am going to take it into a shop soon as i cant fathom were the rattling is coming from.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Smit Dogg

2. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

May 17, 2009
    Cumbria, UK
    Ok... So I've managed to sort out the rattle/buzz that was eminating from my bass. Although it probably isn't the advised cure, I literally took the bass completely apart, anything that was unscrewable. I inspected all screws/threads, bushes etc, 2 of the machine head bushes needed the threads cleaning up , which inturn, is making them grip the pegged part of the device better. I Also cleaned up the area were the neck attaches to the body with a soft emery tape as it seemed rather rough and splintery, this has actually allowed the neck to sit more snuggly in the groove once i bolted the neck back in place. I also placed the pick ups back in a slightly lower position than it was previously as they seemed to be protruding a little higher than when i first purchased the bass.

I actually dont know what it was that was causing the rattle/hum but it is cured now after the unconventional rip-out and replace process!!

Smit-Dogg

3. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Funny that it came down to that. I and others have had the same rattling problem and i believe in every case it came down to the tuners not being tight enough and rattling around. I didnt take everythign apart but did narrpw it down to the headstock and figured it out.

4. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    "Bushes"?? you mean bushings? Not all that important. Just made me laugh a bit. Glad you got rid of the problem.

5. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

May 17, 2009
    Cumbria, UK
    Brado, Just a little bit of topiary on my headstock did the job... haha (jokes). accepted plural terminology up my way for 'bushing', mind you i do like up in t' sticks!! :)

Smit-Dogg

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Rattle noise can travel through the hardware and appear to emanate from a location far removed from the actual source of the noise. My Strat had a rattle that seemed to come from near where the neck joins the body. I tightened every screw on the neck joint, the pickups, the pick guard... but to no avail; it was a mystery. Then I found that the knob on the end of the whammy bar was loose. Tightened it - problem solved.