Mystery Gut String ID sought

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by John Le Guyader, Apr 22, 2019.

1. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Someone is selling the unused guts strings in the photo below but doesn't know anything about them. Can anyone ID them? The string envelopes in the background are not for the guts. Thx

unknown guts.jpg

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Gamut Red Diamond gut strings D and G are red (coated nylon). But I believe their E and A strings are copper wound. Here's a thread about them.

Other than that, I've seen the red SBW Deluxe spiral-cut kevlar-core wackers that look like these in the picture, but they of course are not gut.

I've only been around for a little more than a year though, perhaps someone else here can share their more expansive string wisdom.

3. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    These might be Harp strings. They come in natural, black and red. All kinds of lengths and diameters.

4. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    NOS Red-O-Rays?

Matt Ides likes this.
  5. John Le Guyader

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    To me they (the red strings in the photo I posted for this thread) look like they are plain gut, no wrap. Red-O-Rays were wrapped nylon guts from what I understand, and from the few photos I have found do not look like that, at least to me in the photo I show.

The harp string theory may pan out. The C strings on harps are red.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. John Le Guyader

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I'm gonna throw out there that maybe they are NOS La Bella's based on this Red-O-Ray thread at post #7:

Red-O-Ray strings?

7. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Almost all of your gut string makers made harp strings as well,and they are colored red,black and i have seen green,they also marketed bass string such as Red O Rays, Artone had Red Label,and even Labella had a red gut set,There is nothing special of extra about red strings other than they have been dyed red,but I did have a set of NOS that had advertised that the red was a added moisture barrier , the funny thing was the wound A&E afterlength and loop were painted with red paint which flaked off, while the G&D were actually
    dyed red

8. John Le Guyader

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Yes, thanks, I appreciate the info. But what do you think the red guts are in the photo...what's your wager?

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looks like Red O Rays

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021