1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery home speakers....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BadJazz, Jun 16, 2017.

1. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    So I was perusing a local tax-exempt thrift store yesterday and came upon two tower speakers with no logos or serial numbers or tags of any kind. They are almost 5 feet tall and heavy AF! I mean, my Bag End 2x12 is a featherweight compared to these. Any of you helpful OT'ers have any idea?

20170614_160831. 20170614_160839. 20170614_160853. 20170614_160908.

2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    If they work, go for it. It wouldn't be hard to dress 'em up. The answers you seek may be inside. They do look musical and the weight possibly works in their favor.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Some Jensens had that shortened type grill cover.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Those look like Dynaudio drivers. If they work, these cabinets should sound very good. Hopefully, the pushed in tweeter dome doesn't affect things, too much. How's the other cabinet? The connection panel looks like this is set up to allow bi-wiring.

Stumbo and Jim Nazium like this.
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    They look suspiciously like SVS Prime Towers minus the Sub. I've only ever seen them in black though

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Much like bass cabs, there are plans for stereo speakers all over the interwebz. A buddy/neighbor/guitar player guy I know builds them all the time. He is an audiophile who can blow some money on stereo gear every year, but can't justify $10K speakers. So he builds a few sets of cabs every year and moves speakers around from cab to cab for fun experiments. His speakers dont just sound amazing, but they look fantastic as well. And he would be the first to tell you he's not a pro woodworker. According to him, there's a sub culture built around these types of projects not unlike our own Luthier's Corner here at TB.

So they could be designed around a known entity but a homebrew in practice.

MJ5150, Jim Nazium and blastoff99 like this.
  7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

beveled front edge, slot port, (rear-firing woofer/radiator...NOT! thanks, jeff)...80s design? svs was a great guess. that chevron grille looks so familiar, but i cannot place it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I had a set of polk audio speakers that look just like those in the 90's

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Unless there is a photo I can't see, where is the rear firing radiator?

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

in my imagination. my mind combined photos 2 and 3 into one. oops.

11. +1
    They look like Dynaudio drivers. I don't think Dynaudio ever set up their speakers for bi-wiring, but back in the day (15+ years ago) they sold drivers individually to DIY builders. No badge / serial number would be consistent with home-built speakers. There were some very highly regarded kits and plans available. I think they'd be worth a listen. Might be great speakers at a thrift store price.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    BadJazz likes this.
  12. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yeah those look a lot like the ones I found. I don't have any need for speakers but I would like to at least hear these. Asking price is 80 bucks.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Those are definitely not Polks.

Only Dynaudio attaches dustcaps like that. Polks have never had chevron grilles either.

maxresdefault.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

You're right of course. I didn't notice the chevrons until you mentioned it. I really should have my glasses on at work when I posted O.O

mmbongo likes this.