1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Mystery Jazz Bass 1976 MIJ - off the chart!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by emblymouse, May 28, 2017.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hi, gotta sell this to help finance a new build. I imported this from Japan through Danny Stewart aka talkbasser steweDbass of Bass Japan Direct. I've had numerous mid 70's MIJ Fender copies and this was a dead ringer for my favorite. Here is his description from the original listing on Reverb, and I've copied in some interesting post sale correspondence.

Mystery 1976 mij jazz bass. Incredible build quality, superior fit and finish, amazing tone! Fully functional, plenty of fret left, dings bangs etc, tarnishing hardware... But plays beautifully.

Made by Luthier by the name of Wako San, not sure what brand for, as the logo has been sanded off.
    Very thick binding with mop inlays, Sen body in 2pieces, original hardware classic jazz bass style. This seems like an early Fender copy, perhaps a prototype?

Has high grade handwound pickups, excellent fit at the pocket, really tight, low action, just 1mm! Nice skunk stripe. C grip profile.

Maybe it was an early Fernandes or Founder bass... We cannot be sure. What ever it is it blows many others out the water. Incredible!

The date in the neck pocket reads as Showa 51 meaning 1976

$700 shipped obo

"I am going to go and see the guys at dragonfly the CEO of which used to build Aria back in the eighties so he might know what this is...
    Anyway whatever it is it is one of the best vintage Jazz basses I have ever played , in my opinion it surpasses the Greco and is more like a a boutique handmade build so I think whatever it is you will enjoy it! More news soon".

"Talked to the guys at dragonfly. Not likely aria, serial stamp is unlike theirs so it still remains a mystery. But either way they were also impressed by the build quality."

I dressed the frets, changed the strings ( Ken Smith Slick Rounds), pickguard (old tort included), put pon a newer vintage style bridge and installed some used Schaller tuners. It is a funky chunky 70's Jazz. Ships in nice budget gig bag. Shipping on buyer for this one. Questions cheerfully responded to

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    lesclaypoolsob, R&B, e-flat and 2 others like this.
  2. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Some of Danny's shots

Attached Files:

3. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    This just in...
    TB'r Dluxe pointed me towards H.S. Anderson as the brand. Known for the original Leopard Tele Prince used. He had exact copy's made by Roger Sadowsky. Hohner purchased the rights to that one and distributed them under their name.
    I still feel it is likely a working prototype due to some hand made features like the odd binding, hand wound pickups and personal makers stamp / hand written date. I've never seen these things on any production models, they were purposely kept anonymous with one company building for many brands.

4. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Hi, cool bass, the price above says $575 and then in the middle it says $700. To make this clear, you're asking $575 ? May I ask the weight ?

5. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yes, price is $575 plus shipping. That $700 was from the original ad I pasted in,sorry for any confusion. It just wouldn't feel right if I wasn't losing some money :D
    It's high 9's, maybe 10 lbs.

Session1969 likes this.
  6. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Ok, for the 70's , that's a solid medium. PM sent

7. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Looks cool. Is it bad if I'm hearing a funky slap line as I'm looking at the photos? I might've mentally told a yo momma joke, too. That means this bass is nasty.

How nasty?
    Yo momma knows.

Yep, pretty nasty.

Session1969 likes this.
  8. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Still available folks! And I'd like to confirm 100% this is an H.S. Anderson branded bass. I can just make out the lettering that was removed now that I know what to look for. I have never heard of this brand until now, interesting story.

PS I put the tort guard back on.:bassist:
    PSS it's about 10 1/2 lbs. Baby's got back.:bassist::bassist:

9. Doug Moore

Doug Moore

Oct 17, 2014
    PM sent !