Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mystery Laney 2x15 repairs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boredwithabass, Oct 12, 2005.

1. well, I have a Laney 2x15 bass cab which i've had for about a year now but never really used too much because it has a problem with the construction. when playing at relatively loud volumes with it. You can clearly hear something rattling which seems to be comeing from the back portion, I guessed that there was a support beam that was loose.

well, after finally getting around to it i've taken off the back panel and now everything seems to be pretty sturdy, which leaves me guessing what is causing the noise. now I think that its the back panel itself. Before I began unscrewing the panel I noticed that around some of the screws(the middle section near the support beam) the wood was kinda "uprooted" (for lack of a better term I suppose) You can't see thi directly because of the black cover stuff(the name doesn't come to mind of what its called right now). So I thought maybe its the back support vibrating agaisnt the back panel but when I tried wiggling them they both didn't budge at all.

so now im clueless, If you have any suggestions as to the problem please share. thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Get a test tone CD, hook up a player to your amp input, play 30 Hz test tones. Anything loose will be very obvious. Start with the volume off, take it up real slow.