1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery of the Strange Buzzing

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by IntoTheGray, Mar 23, 2013.

1. I had recently just gotten a new bass, fresh from my tech with new strings and a set up. I'm playing around through some songs when I slide up through an octave when I hit the 17th on the E. Suddenly, I hear this loud buzzing.

I play it again without the slide and hear the buzzing again. I try placing my right hand behind my left, no difference. Play the note again and hold above the nut, no difference. Play the note again, mute the note, and hear the buzz ring out slightly. No idea where the buzz is coming from.

So I start holding my ear up to each part of the bass trying to figure it out. Eventually realize the buzz is not coming from the bass. The buzz is coming from my acoustic guitar hanging in its stand. The A string started vibrating every time I hit that octave A on my bass.

2. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Yup, I have a picture that must Bb against the wall.

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I had that problem in our practise room, my D string (and A string 5th fret) would cause immense feedback.

took us a while to find out it was the 2nd tom of the drumkit that would catch that frequency and vibrate it down into the bassdrum
    where the bassdrum-mic sent it through the PA.