1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery P body - need help identifying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by friskinator, Nov 4, 2013.

1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Just picked up this Precision body to work some refin magic on, but I'm not quite sure what I have here. The seller said he thought it was a Squier, but I'm not so sure about that.

The upper horn looks a bit more slender than what you're used to seeing with Fenders or Squiers, and the only identifying mark I can find is a serial number stamped on the neckplate which reads 6121120. The body appears to be plywood, and the pickups look a lot like the ones in my Squier II Precision.

I'm guessing this thing might be an 80s Japanese or Korean P copy, but I really don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. My guess is Samick. The body contours are too pronounced for a Fender/Squier.

3. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I've done a lot of image searching for Samick bass pics since you mentioned this, but I can't seem to find any exact matches for this particular body. Not saying you're incorrect, but I'm still not sure.

Anyone else care to chime in?

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    ehh the brand lotus comes to mind? I really don't know, it could be one of any of the hundreds of p copy Chinese manufacturers

5. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    That body is definitely a Samick body. The slim upper horn, and the slightly fatter pick guard around the controls are exactly like the Samick artist series basses. made in the mid 2000's

I own a version of it with a J bass pickup in the bridge, but a local pawn store has one with just the P.

[​IMG]

6. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Peavey? I believe I've seen a few Peavey basses shaped like this. Could be wrong.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    nah peaveys have thinner longer horns, and the bodies are more round. I think theyre called the milestone 1 or something like that. theyre mostly jazz copies now (milestone 3?) but used to be p copies

8. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Thanks for all the help. I'll be starting a Reranch refin pretty soon with the intention of selling it when I'm done, so stay tuned.

9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    any idea on what color? just curious

10. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Probably Lake Placid Blue, but I also have some Surf Green left over from a previous job I might use.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I thought it was a Hohner P-bass at first, but it isn't.
    Same body shape but Hohners (and actually Fenders and Squier p-basses) have an extra screw hole to the left of the bridge pickup. Your bass doesn't. Could be one of the many clones out there.

12. Yeah I thought it looked like a milestone as it had 2 milestones, 1 a standard P shape and 1 a more slender horn like that.