Mystery Pawn Shop Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turnstile, Aug 1, 2021.

1. turnstile

turnstile

Jan 27, 2020
    I bought this as a project bass due to the feel of the neck alone. The neck appears to be a late 70s early 80s Schecter, and the body either a Schecter or 70s Fender. Since the body has been 'refinished' there are no markings anywhere. Though I did notice the dot in the bridge pickup cavity. Anyhow, Im wondering what possible bridge could have been mounted to it with such a route? It's perplexing, as Ive never seen anything like it. Does anyone know what brand/model it could have been? Thanks.

Caution: images may be disturbing to some viewers due to the graphic nature of the modifications.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    ^^ i think you nailed it there.

3. turnstile

turnstile

Jan 27, 2020
    Wow that was fast. I looked at the install PDF and the measurements and outline look to be almost exact. I guess I'll be filling it in and putting on fixed bridge. Or maybe have everything filled back in to factory and refinish it in vintage white, or buttercream. Still quite curious about the body. Im thinking it is a Fender more than a Schecter. My guess is that someone made a Jaco themed Jazz bass at some point. Are there any indications that would point to it being a Fender vs Schecter? I did notice a sharp metal point sticking out of the control cavity on the bridge side. Not sure if Fender had something like this?
    IMG_2358.JPG

4. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    I see one thing about that that ain't a mystery... :cautious:

I don't see a future natural, blond or sunburst finish as likely.

How are you woodworking and luthier skills?

5. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    M0ses and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  6. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
  7. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    12025p.thumb.jpg.ecd9acb3ba158bb7ecc47fe5ba0054d6.jpg

1061145587_Screenshot2020-05-21at17_15_44.thumb.png.e7a0f29296b5539f03a87c795d4c5468.png

Murch, vid1900, Max Bogosity and 11 others like this.
  8. turnstile

turnstile

Jan 27, 2020
    Do you know what years they appeared on?

9. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    I don't know the extent of the years, just that Fender did this pre-CBS.

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have an early Schecter body and it has the word "SCHECTER" stamped into the wood in the neck pocket. I've seen two other Schecter bodies from that era that also have the name stamped into the neck pocket. From your pictures, it appears not to be the case with your body. 20210801_135722.jpg

MattZilla and tindrum like this.
  11. turnstile

turnstile

Jan 27, 2020
    Yea, Ive seen several Schecter Jazz bodies of the era and they have had the Schecter branded into the neck pocket like you mention. I think if you look closer you will also see the part number and the serial number embossed into the wood as well. From what I remember seeing, it was on the top or bottom edge of the pocket (long wise).

Ive looked into the glazier point ground use in vintage Fender Jazz basses and have been able to confirm that up to '67 used them. Jaguar's also used them in the early to mid 60's. Does anyone here have a 70's Jax or Precision with one in the control cavity?

12. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    This body has been cruelly tortured. :blackeye:

BEADG63 likes this.
  13. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    As far as I know, in Fender Jazz bodies the single race-track oval control cavity was the standard/same from day one '59/'60, through the '70s and into the '80s, at least.

14. turnstile

turnstile

Jan 27, 2020
    So you're saying they all used these glazier points in the front of the control cavity (like your pictures above)?

15. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Have you found any markings or details in the body that confirm that it's Schecter, Fender, or something else?

I suspect the body shape routing and roundovers details where the top and bottom cutouts meet the neck pocket area might provide useful information about brand/manufacturer and year or era.

16. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    No, I'm not sure about when the glazing points stopped. Someone above said Fender stopped using them in '67 which I believe as plausible.

Is it confirmed or known that this particular body was made by Fender, Schecter or some other?

17. turnstile

turnstile

Jan 27, 2020
    Just the dot mark in the bridge control cavity. Ive attached a few more images.

IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2369.JPG IMG_2368.JPG IMG_2367.JPG IMG_2366.JPG IMG_2365.JPG

18. One note on filling the existing routes, even if you’re refinishing in a solid color the fill areas will eventually telegraph through. The “right” way to do it is the take the top of the body down and veneer it. I believe StewMac has a video on their YouTube channel.

MattZilla likes this.
  19. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    We can say for sure it is not a Fender Jazz body from between '74 and '83 because four bolts.

The hump in the shape of the rounded over cutaway where it meets the high/G side of the neck pocket makes me think it is a Fender body though.

It's had a thumb block/tug bar in the original '60s lower position and second added or repositioned one above the strings and pick guard.

MattZilla likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021