Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mystery Strings.......help!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Ashley Long, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Hey guys,

I was recently given a set of strings the other from a friend whos bass was a write off. Ive put them on my Hangzergayar bass out of idle curiosity after having Pirastro Felxocors for years and guess what? They sound and feel amazing, but, true to form, neither myself or my friend have a clue what they are! I can describe them to you: the are steel wound strings with quite a soft tension but work really well for bowing and pizz, the string wrapping is quite coarse and of a light turquoise-green color colour, and the ball ends are a very small barrel shape. Also the strings seem to be copper and steel wound but im not sure if its synthetic core or not. The strings were the stock strings of a Michael Poller ply bass made in 1999 if this helps. Hope you guys can help as these are the strings of my dreams for my old bass!

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    what color are the ball ends?

Have a look on the pictures on this page and see if you see it.

3. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    The barrel ends are typical of LaBella and Innovation today but they could be old strings from Super Sensitive. Maybe the Supreme?

Post a pic of the ends.

4. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    The color matches those of the Thomastik Superflexible strings as does the ball end. The ball end is the same shape as a set of spirocore I have but they are a lot smaller. Perhaps Thomastik used smaller ball-ends previously??

5. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Strange question. As these strings are fine, I wont be changing them for a while, but, are Superflexibles really that flexible?

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Not really.
    They were amongst the first rope-core steel string designs.
    The rope-core uses stranded steel instead of bare wire, as in full-core designs, so the greater flexibility.

7. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Are they soft tension??? because the wrapping of these strings I have now matches the supers in the photo, but they are quite soft. Im a little confused.

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Superflexibles are about the same tension as Spirocore Weichs.

On all the plywoods I bought in the '80s, the stock strings were cheap, full-core designs.
    That doesn't mean they're not good, but more often than not it's the case...
    It may be a good idea to forget about them and get a good set of known strings which will still be available in a few years.

9. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Out of curiosity does weich mean soft or medium??

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Soft.
    And Stark means heavy.

11. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Cheers, thanks for your help on this one man. :)