Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mystery Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JRBrown, Sep 8, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I bought this bass several months ago and was unable to find out what the toggle switch does from seller or builder, Hopefully you can help. Here goes.

- The bass has Bart p/u and preamp. The pre AMp consists of: Bass, Mid, Treble, Pan, Vol, pull defeat, and the mystery switch.

- The pickups are wired directly to the toggle switch. The toggle switch has three positions: 1, 2, and 3.

- Positions 1 and 3 sound about the same and make the sound somewhat thin.

- Position 2 (mid position) gives a full sound.

- The switch is the blue component in the pictures.

Hope you can Help.
    :confused:

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    But still a guess, because I have no idea of what pup(s) you have. But if it is one humbucker:
    pos 2: coils wired in series
    po1 1: single coil
    pos 3: coils wired in parallel

Pos 1 and 3 may be the opposite.

Still a guess....

3. since it is a bart preamp i suppose it is the mid freq. selector

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm thinking the same thing. On Friday I played a Zon Sonus 5 w/Barts. I had the controls flat & it had a 3 way mini switch. I was playing with the switch & I was thinking that something was wrong. After about a minute or 2, I boosted the mid-range all the way up & the switch came alive!!!!! :)

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    It is a mid. freq selector.. I have basically the same thing on my Elrick...

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Well, how does it work? In positions 1 and 3, there is a lot of noise if the pan control is turned towards either pickup.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    THANKS for the help. The switch is in fact:

1. Inner
    2. All Coils
    3. Outer

Verified by tapping the sides of each pickup. What's the use of having both inner and outer coil selections? They sound almost the same.

Thanks again,

JrB