1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery Tiesco Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jack Anderson, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Jack Anderson

Jack Anderson

Apr 27, 2018
    Hey all, I recently took a risk on reverb buying a "60's teisco short scale bass" for 100$ and well, it was suprising. It's just lefty tiesco guitar someone put a bass bridge, tuners, pickup and strings on. They've also defretted it.

That's where the problem lies. I don't really want it to be fretless, but instead of pulling the frets out and filling them, it looks like they've sanded the frets down to the fretboard, creating a metal "plug" to fill the frets. Has anyone worked on anything like this before? The neck also has binding on the side, so I wouldn't be able to necessarily saw through the fret plugs without having to replace the binding. I would be open to doing it if that was the only option.

If any good luthiers have any experience with this kind of thing I would be very grateful. I'll attatch a few photos for you to check it out.

P.S. The hardware/electronics are complete crap and I'm going to replace them. In brainstorming mode right now but thinking putting a mudbucker type pickup (anyone tried the allparts one?) in the neck and a mini humbucker on the bridge. Also been thinking about putting a bigsby with an tune-o-matic style bass bridge and using tapewound strings, and even an onboard overdrive circuit. This thing is going to be REDICULOUS and I love it

Peace

IMG_8122. IMG_8123.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yep, I've seen a few like that. Basically, you've got to pry the tangs of the frets up out of there. Start with a small sharp pointed tool at the end, pry the end up a bit. Then work across, pulling the tang out with a pair of ground flush cutting nippers. Clean the slots out with a standard fret slotting saw, pushing the end in up against the binding. Then refret it, clipping the ends of the tangs so the ends of the crowns hang over the binding. It's a tedious and complicated fret job, but it certainly can be done if you have the patience.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Arrrggghhh! The dreaded filed fretless! This video shows the same nightmare on a Ric. He took the binding off to get to the fret ends to pry them up.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    JIO and Axstar like this.
  4. Why'd you buy it?

5. Jack Anderson

Jack Anderson

Apr 27, 2018
    Why not? Been looking for a short scale bass and figured i'd take a stab and see. Lister did not say it was fretless and the photos didn't look fretless either.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  6. Jack Anderson

Jack Anderson

Apr 27, 2018
    Thank you both so much! Will take into account.

7. Yah, but it's still not a short scale bass. :facepalm:
    It's a buggared geetar. :roflmao:

Hey! have fun with it. Let us know how it turns out.

8. Jack Anderson

Jack Anderson

Apr 27, 2018
    Haha thanks! And you're right it ain't short scale. Totally expected a 30' scale neck as advertised but got a 24 inch once instead! Oh the wonders of reverb :)

I'll post some updates when I get around to working on it.

9. Please do, it’s not what you expected but the journey to your vision will be an interesting one to say the least!

10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    That would be a laborious job but that's how it needs to be done. (he did a splendid job saving that neck!) :thumbsup:

Gilmourisgod likes this.