1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery Trace Elliot cab (need some specs)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xtaftx, Apr 20, 2010.

1. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey everyone, I came into possession of a Trace Elliot cab, but all of the identifiers have been marked off the back. I know that it has 8 ohm impedance, but other than that I'm a little lost. I need to know the wattage for sure, as I am thinking about upgrading my head. The head I use now is 200w @ 4 ohms, so I assumed that my current head couldn't do much if any damage, but the new head will be 500w (orange terror). So here are some pictures. If anyone has any information, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    CAB1.

CIMG0051.

2. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
  3. You could put a 4000 watt head on there and sure you could blow it up, but you wouldn't.
    Bottom line, it doesn't really matter.

I have a 900watt head that I run into a 300waat cab all the time.
    Zero issues.
    Ever.

I think thats the older V series cab (if I recall the name correctly)
    Is it the 412?
    I know they made a 412 like that.

4. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    Hm. I was always under the impression that you could overload the speakers and technically cause them to crap out with too much wattage from the head. I tend to use a lot of gain and crunch, so that's why I'm concerned. But I believe it's a 412, and I know it's got a horn in the middle, but other than that I'm lost.
    Thanks for the tip

5. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    You can put a head with a higher rated output than the speaker is designed for, but you can't turn it up all the way. You will actually hear your speakers start go get over-worked or over-excurted before damage ensues.

6. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Pull a driver, they are normally Celestion BG10/80 if its the cab I think it is. 4 X 80 watts =320 watts
    PS. But like with all bass cabs the only maximum wattage that matters at all is the volume at which it still sounds really good and not farting
    and honking at all.
    Speaker ratings are purely thermal and have nothing to do with what the loudspeaker sounds like with that power applied.
    Usually 10" bass guitar speakers with a flatish eq'd five string start to fart at less than half the quoted thermal power handling.:bassist:

7. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    To be honest, I have no idea how to get into it. I unscrewed the back plate, but it was a dead end with wires that I didn't want to mess up.

8. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    That little tab on the front of the cab top center of the grill. You should be able to pull the grill out using that.

9. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    So I'm almost there...
    I took off the grill, but could not get the speakers out that way. Then I decided to take off the recessed handles and I was instantly in a world I had never seen. I found the back of the speakers and they read
    Celestion c12t-200e
    made for Trace Elliot
    So I googled c12t-200e and found a few results, such as...

http://www.mercasystems.com/world/i...2t200e-custom-bass-speaker-12-200w-8-ohm.html

and

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/C...b2b6d0373bf5c318.e3eSc3mSaxuPe34Pa38Ta38Mc3n0

With two resources, I feel assured that those are the exact speakers.
    So, would this mean that my cab is actually 800 watts? Thanks for everyone who responded.

10. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks a bit like my old TE Vintage Series 1248H. 4x12" + horn, 8 ohms, 800w power handling if so. Killer cab, weighed a tonne.

c-

11. Yep -
    Looks like my old TE 1248. 800 watts. SWEET sounding cabinet. I compared it side-by-side with a pair of 1048 cabinets that I intended to buy, and walked out with this cabinet instead. Terribly regret selling it - this was one of the best I've had. This cabinet will handle just about anything you can throw at it, and sound like the cat's pajamas in the process...

12. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    that is for sure the 412 bass cab that came with the first v series heads.
    they made very little.
    good score!!

13. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    And I got it for free in a band breakup to boot

14. anevo8

anevo8

Apr 17, 2011
  15. G.A.S.