1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery Wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sofnlo, Apr 24, 2010.

1. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    I bought this from the local woodworking supply.They didn`t know what it was but the owner wasn`t there either.If anybody knows I`d be greatful.
    101_2366.
    101_2367.
    101_2368.

2. Icewolf98

Icewolf98

Nov 25, 2009
    Tyler Tx
    Looks like Ziricote to me, great wood. Your piece looks nice, it is usually a very expensive wood. I think Woodcraft sells it for over $40.00/bf so if you got it for less it was a good deal.

3. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    Thanks.Im hoping to matchbook it for a top.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I agree with the diagnosis of ziricote.

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Hmm I don't think it's Ziricote, I don't see any spider webbing in the finish and shine. The sap is the right color, but the figure just isn't as wacky as most Ziricote I've dealt with. Also it appears to be pretty wide, it looks like at least 6" wide? That's pretty wide compared to most of the Ziricote I've worked with. And that's way too cheap a price for Ziricote unless you just robbed the guy. :)

Oh yeah the easiest way to know if it's Ziricote is take your hand fret saw and try cut a nice straight cut, if it binds and the blade wants to skate off the surface like glass you've got Z. ;)

My first inclination was to say Walnut with sap.

Either way that should make a pretty cool top for sure.
    Have fun,
    Dirk

6. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    black walnut. the light area is not uncommon.

7. ddtkills

ddtkills

Mar 7, 2009
    Definetly looks like black wanut to me but i'm no expert. I work with alot of black walnut and have seen many pcs like this with that color sap wood.

8. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    My gut reaction is black walnut...

9. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    i do know that its crazy heavy.Anybody know where i can send it to be cut matchbook style?

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ...to anyone with a table saw?

I am in Cincinnati.

11. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    yep, i just had my blonde moment for the day

12. The heart-sap transition is too sharp for walnut - looks like ziricote to me. That is not an abnormal width, there's sap on both sides, by the endgrain looks like this was either a big branch or a small trunk.

When cutting it, if you keep tripping your circuit breaker and if your blade is noticeably duller when you're done, its ziricote.

13. 1. Walnut was my first thought- I have some but admittedly have not seen such sharp contrast between dark & light ares
    2. Isn't it *bookmatching?*
    3. Wouldn't a good bandsaw be better for BMing?
    4. I'm sure it's *grateful* not *greatful* :)

14. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I find a toilet to be best for that action.

15. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I've seen Zircote without the typical "landscape" figuring in the grain. I have a plank in my racks now that is just brown....very plain....nothing special. If this is Zircote, it should be heavy. The smell test always works.....Crosscut the end of the billet or even sand it......It should have a "black liquorice" smell if it is indeed Zircote.

16. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks - I needed something to wake me up this morning

17. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    my first thought was walnut. I don't see any of the 'spider webbing' I associate with Ziricote.

I am not sure I would ever be able to spend $22 on a piece of twisted grain wood if I don't know what it is. That's just my shoe string talking.

18. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    I dont know,is it ? but i sure am grateful

19. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I purchased a thin tablesaw blade and made a pass thru the one side, flipped it over and made the other pass. The middle I cut thru with a handsaw. Not sure I would do that again (a lot of work), but I did achieve what wanted, and it fit my budget. :)
    If you do do attempt this method, make several passes slowly raising the blade. In my haste, I warped the blade I was using.

20. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    i might try that