1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery Woodstock Band?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Who's the big name band who played at woodstock, but not appear in the film and didnt want any press regarding their appearance?

I heard this on a radio quiz today and not knowing the answer is driving me a little nuts.

2. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    also got this
    Even though Neil Young performed with Crosby, Stills and Nash at Woodstock, he was not in the movie. He is, however, on the soundtrack album performing with them on the songs "Sea of Madness" and "Wooden Ships".

3. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Also this
    Among the bands that appeared at the festival but not in the movie were Creedence Clearwater Revival, Mountain, The Band and 'Tim Hardin (III)' . Clips of Hardin's and The Band's performances were released several years later on the outtakes video.

I think you mean Creedance
    Creedence Clearwater Revival, who at the time were the #1 band in the U.S.A., performed right after The Grateful Dead. Because of problems with the sound, and because he thought their performance was sub-standard, singer/songwriter/guitarist John Fogerty didn't allow any footage to be included in the movie, nor for any song to be released on the album. However, four songs from Creedence's set have been later released on the 25th Anniversary box set.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yup, I think it was CCR.

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

GRATEFUL DEAD

;)

( We don't recommend the brown acid ...)

6. finally a correct answer.

the dead had an unlucky streak for blowing the big ones. they were very unhappy with their performance at woodstock, and thus did not want any part of it released. they were also unhappy with their performance at Monterey pop.

7. but...their footage IS in the movie.....???

8. You can also add The Incredible String Band to that list.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    As a cub reporter I had the opportunity to interview Mike Wadleigh, the director of "Woodstock", on his 1969 promotional tour of Europe. He specifically brought up the fact that The Band had pulled out of the movie because they felt they'd played badly. He did also mention, in passing, that the Dead had done the same thing.

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Let's face it, the dead didn't get serious about getting the sound right until a few years later, the previous recordings such as 'Aoxamoxa' were heavily edited.

They took a great turn in 71-72 on, and by 74, with the 'Wall of Sound" were on top of their live game.

They became the US's premier touring band for many years after,
    but those early concerts were hard lessons in 'Band Management
    and Performance' for them.

They weren't that 'special', they had to suffer a lot of the same growing pains
    many other musicians did.

What was special was how they were able to grow from there.

11. their studio recordings were never really that good...as they often blew the big concerts, they often choked in the studio, as they were primarily a live band, and they were not able to capture their essence in the studio.

as for their live sound, i dont think it was really that bad in the early days, ive heard many many recordings from 65-70, and they sound decent, considering bootleg technology of the time. the wall of sound did improve their live sound, but it also provided them with a new set of problems to deal with as far as sound goes.

12. i heard in an interview that the dead's sound system was poorly grounded so they got a shock everytime they touched their instrument, which is what made it difficult to play their songs...I wouldn't want people to see that if that happened in my band!

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It was Queen in disguise.

14. this is true, i think it was really windy and some ground wire came loose from its hold or something like that. also at one point in the show, phil's bass pickups somehow were picking up sound from a helicopters radio...or something like that, and it was going out over the PA.