Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mystery!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by raised_fist, Dec 17, 2003.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Okay guys, I just got my 1978 P-bass fretless home, installed with EMG pickups.
    Playing around with it and it sounds great, although some of the pots are a little scratchy. My problem now is, it has EMG active pickups in it, but no way for me to get to a battery compartment.
    Now I posted on this bass a while ago, and as I said in that thread, I SWEAR that when I was in the shop telling them to hold it it had a way through the back. Obviously I was wrong, but I honestly thought it did.
    So basically what do I do? Could the EMG's be running passive at this very moment? Or will I be fine until the battery runs out of juice? Maybe the battery is under the pickguard...

2. The battery is probably under the pickguard. You'll be fine.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup

4. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    that will be such a bitch to change!

5. Enh, you'll manage.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mid gig, yes. You might want to get a voltage tester to check the battery before you do gigs, I can't remember the thread but it's definitely been discussed here before. You could probably get a luthier to route a battery box for you easily

Having said that, If you're using good quality batteries, they shouldn't just die on you - you should have advance warning. The sound will probably start to sound distorted, lower output etc. A 9v battery can power EMG pickups for a long time.

7. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    yeah I am sure I'll be fine. Thanks for your help with this guys!