Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mysto 3 string

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FredH, Oct 19, 2005.

1. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Blockless wonder.. Turn of the century.. Re-finished at Home Depot with brown deck stain.. So it appears..

Not worth a second 'click' in my opinion.

3. Hmm
    You are probably looking at several thou to bring her up to 4 string modern standard. (quite probably more)

If you had the skill (ie knew exactly what you were doing) It could be a good back yard shed type project to fix up.

An interesting find!

4. The main problem is, since it is not playable now, there is no way to judge whether it shows sonic promise. If I had the time and workspace, and if it were a little cheaper I might consider it just to see...
    -Jon

5. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Ouch, oh well, PT Barnum must be smiling... boy my wife is going to kill me.

I'll bring it to Dave Mallard, maybe he can suggest something. Worst comes to worst I'll leave it a three string and tell lies about it being some rare find. Ancient Italian builder that sold their wood finishing secrets to home depot. At least drummers might believe it.

Funny thing (subtle change of subject), I posted some pics a while ago of the stapled "Frankinbass", well I was at my teachers house the other day and looking in the corner of his living room I saw it. The Frankenbass, he bought it!! It's really a kind of cool bass, it's stiff, the staples don't move. It's currently in the shop getting the neck dressed.

I'm off the track down Dave M...

6. Fred, please give my best to Dave Mallard...
    Thanks

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Though I thought it was slightly humourous that you bought it for $799 - 1 dollar short of the price that the original owner was previously offered before the EBay thing altogether. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and turns out that the tone is good. :meh:

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Are you going to have the "dust" restored as well?

9. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Paul, Dave says "hey, back"...

And yes I probably will remove the dust. Let that deck stain shine!!!

I'll send a full update when I get the thing.

10. Well no doubt everybody will tell you to make it into a 4-string because "nobody plays 3-string."

Don't do it!

I've seen and heard people play 3-stringers in Europe and they can be incredibly loud, full-toned instruments. I saw a gypsy swing band in Florence Italy playing in a large city square and you could hear the bass right across the other side - some couple of hundred yards. He didn't seem to be limited in agility by the lack of a G-string either!

I'd suggest giving yours a modest set up to get going with it and see how you like the sound of it as it is. You might like it enough to risk spending enough for a conversion, but you could certainly enjoy life with a 3-string until then.

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, it will be an adventure at least. As long as you keep a good attitude about it, the money should be too painful, as logn as it can be played and sound liek a bass at some point :D. Fun project.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Dragonetti didn't need 4 strings....

13. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    He could move around just as fast in boxers!

14. That's why I come here - quality stuff like that... :p

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Neither did most of France, Italy and Germany BUT they ALL went to 4-strings by the early 20th century. So... what does that mean Donnie? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Should I get a Horse when my Car gets old because they used the 100 years ago? Also, are you using un-polished Gut strings on your Bass? By the way, Gary Karr needs 4-strings so what does that make him and all the other Classical players around the world using 4 AND 5-string Basses every day. Please, Name one Professional Classical Orchestral player using a 3-string Bass ONLY!

16. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I was told that the way that the neck is attached to the body on this particular bass indicates that it is Tyrolean. I have one that I also bought on Ebay but for $3000 and I'm very pleased with it. It has 4 strings. I bought it without playing or hearing it because I've played about 5 or 6 of this style and found every one to have a nice focused sound. Mine is no exception. Good luck with it.

17. That's why Kenny Boy said it is a 'BLOCKLESS WONDER' It has no neck block. Those basses have to be figured in a pretty mighty dollar sign for installing a real neck block.
    Also, blockless wonders are not limited to the Tyrol either! Another bad news item on blockless wonders is that most have bass bars that are carved out of the top....most luthiers prefer the bar being glued in from another piece of wood.

18. Er, no. But if you buy a horse you maybe shouldn't attach wheels and an engine to it. Or if you buy a harpsichord don't put hammers on it to try to make a piano out of it.

All I'm saying is, enjoy this instrument for what it is.

19. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    To clarify this, Blockless Basses have been made in England as far back as the Gambas, Germany areas and USA without an upper block. Many Prescotts were made like this as well. Most of these 'humped' neck block looking Basses in use today have been restored with a Full upper block. Unless we see one without a block currently, we can only assume that all or most of them were made like this to 'tuck' the ribs into the neck heel itself.
    I have owned many of these Basses that could of been blockless and have seen dozens of others as well but I have only actually seen 2 or 3 Basses in my lift without a current neck block.