Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MyTech 21 Sans Amp Programable Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DerekP, Oct 25, 2005.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    arrives this morning can't wait to try it out anyone have one of these yet?

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah I purchased one a couple of months ago and I love it. If I am just going to jam its pretty much the only pedal I take. The settings I mainly use are the SVT and the "Bass distortion" setting with the drive turned up and the treble turned down.

You will love it too.

3. Julius73

Julius73

Feb 23, 2004
    Italia
    I don't have the manual :crying: Can you post the setting for "Bass distortion"?
    Thanks

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Sure thing. Here you go.

Distorted Bass

Drive: 2 oclock
    Bass: 2 oclock
    Treble: 1 oclock
    Presence: 2 oclock
    Blend: 5 oclock
    Level: 10 oclock

In my settings I rolled the treble back a little, and rolled the drive forward some... and I may have decreased the blend slightly. If you are interested I can let you know exactly tomorrow.

If you want any more settings let me know.. for example theres Bassman, fat tube, svt, slap etc.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I love mine. I have it set with slightly tweaked versions of slap, SVT, and distortion.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I really like mine - I have a setting for a fairly straight sound with just a bit of drive added, a cleaner setting for slap and a boosted setting for solo stuff. Did some recording the other week and just used the bass and the BDDI as... er.... a DI box! Signal was great, recorded really well. This is the box in my effects board that pretty much stays on all the time.

EDIT By the way, don't expect an instant "wow" factor when it arrives. I did, and I remember feeling a bit disappointed because the sound doesn't really knock you out the first time you switch it on, or not for me anyway. It took quite a bit of experimenting before I really began to appreciate mine. Now I wouldn't be without it, but I still think it's best used in a fairly subtle way. Persevere with it, it's definitely worth it.

7. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Lets hear some samples of how good it switches from tone to tone.

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    It actually has a progressive switching or something, so that when you change from one saved preset to another it kinda fades one out and the other in so its not an abrupt change. Dont let that throw you, theres no lag or anything, the change is just smoother.

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    No, switching is instant, but when you twiddle the knobs again to "reset" a patch some values change smoothly from the preset value to the new knob position (to avoid blowing your ears out with sudden level jumps).

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    ahhh, thats what it was. i must be hearing things then... i swear just yesterday i noticed how smooth it sounded switching from one sound to another. Too much bass, too loud, too often :)

11. My sentiments exactly. I read so much hype about it, I was expecting to be in 7th heaven when I hooked it up. I wasn't. I seriously considered sending it back and giving all those people who sang its praises here an earful.

But I decided to hang on and keep fooling with it, like many here suggested. Now I am getting pretty happy with it.

The device itself is pretty simple. I think the big change is, depending on your other gear and how you set it all up, that you will need to tweak OTHER parts of your system to get things right, not just the SABDDI. Specifically amp/eq knobs.

Also try running the blend control less than the 100% the manual suggests - many TB'ers do this.

If you persevere, you will probably like it, like so many others. Plus, sound guys will be happy with you as well.

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I actually found the sansamp to be a little noisy.. but yeah you have to play around with it a bit.

13. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

in the eeffects send -return? What works best and why? This could be my first venture into effects for 30+ years.

Thanks for any info,
    Wesley R.

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I use mine between bass and amp. I don't really think of it as an effect (although it will do some decent overdriven sounds if that's what you're after), more of an integral part of a "beefier" tone than I get without it.

15. I use it as a stomp box between bass and amp. Really though, I never stomp it off, so it's always on.

You should try it both ways, although that makes for a lot more tweaking.