Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mythbusters Vs. The Brown Note

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ArtisFallen, Jul 20, 2005.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    This might Fit in miscilanious because it actually has some pertinace to the bass, but it was a stretch.

In my countless wasted hours on the internet, occasionally i'll find something amuseing and possibly even usefull:

Apparently the mythbusters are trying their luck with the Brown note :help:

http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

I'm marking my calender for this one.

2. I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure that was on last year. Myth. Still, good entertainment value watching those speakers working overtime.

3. They already did it. Didn't work, although they did feel a feeling of disorientation after a while.

4. Low frequency induced vertigo. cool! (or not, I've had vertigo...not fun :D )

5. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

Oh damn i knew i forgot to check something :mad: : the release date.... anyone have this episode Tivo'd ?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Who's subcontra bass did they use for that? ;):D

-Ray

7. We should probably feel very fortunate that it's a myth :bassist:

I don't watch that show very often, but it's quite enjoyable.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I LOVE that show.

The best one ever was when they were testing if you could shatter a glass with your voice. So they put a glass in front of this classically-trained former hairband singer, and he broke it unamplified. One of the best TV moments ever.

9. u can break anything if u hit the right frequency... evry object has a resonant freq. all u gotta do is find that, and played it so loud. thats how u break glass or crystal. i reckon the brown note does exist, just maybe have to be an un imagenable volume

10. That guy with the beret scares me.

11. Disorientation? I get that when listening to MTV. Lost of music out there today that use the brown note I think :D

Reminds me of a south park episode as well. '...but other than making the whole world crap their pants, I think the event went over really well'

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Great episode. I liked the glass breaking one as well though. What I couldn't figure out is why they put the depends OVER their pants. Isn't the whole put of adult diapers so you don't mess up whatever clothes you're wearing?

13. I watch that show nightly, or almost... discovery and history channel geek.

but I have never seen the glass one... now I am pissed

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Because the dude refused to put it on the normal way. He said he'd "take his chances."

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I never saw this one, but I love that show. I think there is probably some truth to the myth, but the whole "bowels releasing" is just hyperbole. I used to date a drum and bass DJ (yeah, go ahead and laugh) who spun a lot of subharmonic based stuff. If I stood too close to the PA for a whole set I'd often feel nauseated and uncomfortable. Never had any more serious problems.

16. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i love it too... i missed the end of that one though. i had to turn it off, and missed the end. glad to know it came out awesome :D

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Damn, I just saw the one about being safe from gunfire underwater. It's true! They even shot a 50 caliber into a pool (which basically created an explosion), and the dummy flesh was totally UNHARMED!

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Errr, so how do you keep safe from underwater gunfire?