Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Myungs bass in Budokan dvd...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jul 22, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I just saw the live at budokan of DT (im new in modern progresive) and i was wondering what kind/brand of midi pickup is myung using cos it looks bigger than the 1 im used to.

2. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    The pick up that installed next to the humbucker of Myung;s bass is not a midi pick up. It is only a bridge pick up.

3. AffinityBass

AffinityBass

Jun 28, 2005
    Marlboro, NJ
    Adding to what -Timothy- said, that bridge pickup is only cosmetic at this point. That bass was a prototype bass, and he didn't like the way that second pickup sounded, so he un-wired that pickup.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    oh...
    what a shame...
    Do any of you know what kind of fxs is myung usingin budokan? i like that distorted sound hes got.

5. Same question here, I just ordered an ODB3 though, so it's gravy. (I can get any tone from that puppy)

6. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm not sure he still use a Pearce BC-1 preamp to produce his distortion sound or not. :rolleyes:

7. How much does one of those tend to run?

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Im asking cos i own a PD/ that produces a lot of backgorund hum, and a korg amworks that does the same and myungs distortion has none exaxtly the same as muse's bass player.

9. He uses custom seymore duncan pickups i believe.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well, thats not a big deal anyway, tha stock pickups of that bass are labeled under seymour duncan basslines but my local dealer is a little sh**y with the basses infos so..

11. It says seymore duncan in the yamaha website.

12. So what effects is this cat using?

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i can see the pedal pannel on the stage but cant tell you what does anything...

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...and that's simply a MIDI switcher and Framptone 3-Banger for switching between different preamps - JM uses all rackmount effects for his sounds.

In the latest edition of BP (August '05) it has a rundown of his rig, which doesn't look to have changed much since the last time they did a profile on him (2-3 years ago.) He's still using two Demeter HBP-1 preamps, Demeter VTDB-2B mono tube direct box, Demeter HXC-1 optical compressor, Ashdown ABM RPM-1 EVO II preamp and ABM APM 1000 Evo II power amp, the afformentioned Pearce BC-1 preamp, Framptone 3-Banger and amp switcher, and Mesa Big Block 750 (which looks to be the only major switch since last time, replacing an SWR SM-900.)

The only "effect" listed is an Eventide DSP4000 Ultra-Harmonizer, which he says "I dig the Hyper Quad setting on the Eventide. It makes for a great wide spatial effect that really brings my bass sound to life, especially live."

Someone better tell the audience that. :rollno: With the guitar/drum-heavy mix and Rudess' keys taking so much sonic space, am I the only one thinking that simplier might be better in this band live?