1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Myungs bass in Budokan dvd...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jul 22, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I just saw the live at budokan of DT (im new in modern progresive) and i was wondering what kind/brand of midi pickup is myung using cos it looks bigger than the 1 im used to.

2. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    The pick up that installed next to the humbucker of Myung;s bass is not a midi pick up. It is only a bridge pick up.

3. AffinityBass

AffinityBass

Jun 28, 2005
    Marlboro, NJ
    Adding to what -Timothy- said, that bridge pickup is only cosmetic at this point. That bass was a prototype bass, and he didn't like the way that second pickup sounded, so he un-wired that pickup.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    oh...
    what a shame...
    Do any of you know what kind of fxs is myung usingin budokan? i like that distorted sound hes got.

5. Same question here, I just ordered an ODB3 though, so it's gravy. (I can get any tone from that puppy)

6. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm not sure he still use a Pearce BC-1 preamp to produce his distortion sound or not. :rolleyes:

7. How much does one of those tend to run?

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Im asking cos i own a PD/ that produces a lot of backgorund hum, and a korg amworks that does the same and myungs distortion has none exaxtly the same as muse's bass player.

9. He uses custom seymore duncan pickups i believe.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well, thats not a big deal anyway, tha stock pickups of that bass are labeled under seymour duncan basslines but my local dealer is a little sh**y with the basses infos so..

11. It says seymore duncan in the yamaha website.

12. So what effects is this cat using?

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i can see the pedal pannel on the stage but cant tell you what does anything...

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...and that's simply a MIDI switcher and Framptone 3-Banger for switching between different preamps - JM uses all rackmount effects for his sounds.

In the latest edition of BP (August '05) it has a rundown of his rig, which doesn't look to have changed much since the last time they did a profile on him (2-3 years ago.) He's still using two Demeter HBP-1 preamps, Demeter VTDB-2B mono tube direct box, Demeter HXC-1 optical compressor, Ashdown ABM RPM-1 EVO II preamp and ABM APM 1000 Evo II power amp, the afformentioned Pearce BC-1 preamp, Framptone 3-Banger and amp switcher, and Mesa Big Block 750 (which looks to be the only major switch since last time, replacing an SWR SM-900.)

The only "effect" listed is an Eventide DSP4000 Ultra-Harmonizer, which he says "I dig the Hyper Quad setting on the Eventide. It makes for a great wide spatial effect that really brings my bass sound to life, especially live."

Someone better tell the audience that. :rollno: With the guitar/drum-heavy mix and Rudess' keys taking so much sonic space, am I the only one thinking that simplier might be better in this band live?