Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Myung's distortion in 6DOIT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hugh Jazz, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Anyone know what he's using on this album? I like the crunchy sounds he gets, especially on songs like Misunderstood (listen to the first chorus, where you can actually hear some bass).

I know he switched from Mesa to SWR, so maybe it's an IOD? Or he could still be using the modified Triaxis?

Anyone know and care to share?

2. Bump for you dude.

I like Myung's overdrive sound on song 7 on the Awake album (that very very heavy song). An idea what gear he uses for that sound?

3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, for old stuff, he used Mesa amps/cabs. I believe his main sound source was the Mesa Triaxis preamp modified for bass. That has the capabilities of having clean and overdriven sounds, so my (educated) guess is that the sound you're asking about is the triaxis. I think he switched to SWR for SFAM or right after that.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I read recently he uses Demeter preamp and Demeter tube DI for the dry sound, and an Eventide DSP4000 for basic effects along with Pearce preamps for distortion.

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool. Thanks for the info.