1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mywatt? any info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 60jbass91, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 60jbass91

60jbass91

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Thinking about gettin a Mywatt 400
    has anyone played one or heard one?
    is the build quality good or will it be an expensive paper weight?
    is it worth just getting the hiwatt instead?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Can't help much but I recently researched Mywatt myself.

I might order a Mywatt 200.

From what I heard (read) they are very decent, copies of Hiwatt obviously and if I'm not mistaken cheaper than Hiwatt and Reeves.
    I still need to shoot Weber an e-mail asking for current prices.

And for me... and you... being in Europe and Mywatt being German it may be a wise decision to get a Mywatt for a Hiwattish amp.

I searched the forum and there are some owners here on TB, although small in numbers.

3. AMAZING-I own a Mywatt 400 (almost 2 years now)
    ********absolutely 100% the BEST amp ever!!!!************

Comparison:
    I gigged for years using SVT/ SVTII all tube, and acoustic solid state--
    played with several platinum acts- i know my basses and amps-

the Hiwatt clone is so much more definable than SVT or any other that i have ever played-- you get full signal without loss--
    for example, vintage SVT roars--it's blurry-
    svtII all tube has punch but it's squashed and doesn't cover full frequency bands--weak--
    If you want the audience to ACTUALLY hear the DYNAMICS of what you are playing, and want to use modern punch inflections then THIS works better than any other amp or pedal--I guarantee it!!!!
    Talk about GROWL-- it's dialable--master volume--
    IMPORTANT: it breaks up nicely at even LOW volume (there is a low and a high channel)--so when you are writing you can get the same actual subtleties that you get at stage volume
    And power!!-power to spare-- sound stays consistent- doesn't get whacked when you crank the amp--
    YOU WILL NEVER NEED ANOTHER AMP and you can throw away all your modern pedals and amp modeling devices(all of them including ones on your computer when you record) and no need for your DI box (has built in DI)!!
    maybe you still can use a compressor or vintage only pedals with TRUE signal bypass ONLY--
    (if you plug in one that's not, you actually see how you it robs the signal)
    THIS IS WAY CHEAPER than an actual HiWATT- I had mine shipped to california from Germany-
    Max took care of everything perfectly-
    100% Hand wired - hand built one at a time--
    The trick is to run nice NOS vintage 6550 tubes--no teslas--they suck--and all NOS vintage preamp 12ax7's-- there are some other tricks also like what to use for VI preamp tube to tame the beast-

YOU're used to riding a horse to get where you're going...
    --Well I suggest--RIDE the TIGER and tear up everything in your path!!!!

4. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    In another thread, a member mentioned he wanted to order a Mywatt. Upon inquiry, he found that shipping, export duties, etc., made the head prohibitively expensive.

But as I recall, this guy was based in the United States. Hopefully UK bassists do not face the same issue!

5. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Joined today, single post. Anyone else suspicious? :ninja:

6. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    The Max Weber MYWATT amps, made in Germany, have a good reputation for sound and quality according to several owners/techs that I've corresponded with. These are Hiwatt inspired amps with a few differences, toroidal transformers being the main difference. I would highly recommend one over a new Hiwatt 400 since MusicGround little or no concern for quality or customer service unlike the original Hylight era Hiwatt company.

I tried to order a MYWATT 400 from the United States, but they won't ship here or at least not at the time when I tried. It is more likely that Weber would ship to the United Kingdom.

I have a 1973 Hiwatt DR405 Custom 400, of which the MYWATT 400 design is based. It is one loud, killer amp that absolute stomps an SVT.

_DR405chassis.

GlowingKT88s.

DR4052-1.

7. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    When did you get the MYWATT 400? I did not have success trying to order one direct from the USA.

8. I am jealous of your original Hiwatt- wish i could get one of those! :hyper::hyper:

the Weber 400 Mywatt was easy--
    ... 1) just went to the Weber website and emailed a price request--
    then
    2) got the phone number in Germany , called- and set up the shipping etc.,
    --the customs does charge a bit but i was very happy because i got way under what i would have spent on a vintage and this baby REALLY does the job
    ...I'm sure it's not exactly the original Hiwatt but whatever !!
    the transformer he uses ROCKS--
    :bassist: MYWATT 400 blows away any SVT on any day!!
    makes me play my best because i sound my best!
    :cool:
    ***** I just recently played day one of a 4 day festival w a headliner act for 5000 people at a festival ---For the entire remainder of the festival (I am not exaggerating)someone approach me every few minutes saying they had never heard bass playing like that before!
    -- I had other musicians picking me for details of my gear--
    ( i used my Ric) I always have had compliments every gig all my life-( I play a unique style that nobody does) but NEVER got such a response as THIS !--at least 50 people came up to me who were blown away-- and I assume the entire rest of the audience felt it too---What I think happens is it covers the entire spectum of EQ- and it's so warm and non-abrassive- breaks up so nicely on every inflection (major DYNAMICS)-so people don't know why they like it -- they just feel it!

YOUR HIWATT is awesome by the way!!!

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

There's been more and more of this crap going on lately. "viral marketing" anyone? Want to advertise here, pay like everyone else.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    And for the win.....here it is almost Christmas and this "platinumplayer" still has only these 2 posts back in march. The higher ups at TB ought to be billing this loser for advertising.

11. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    I do hope you are not implying that Max Weber is trying to corner the US market by employing viral marketing techniques...

That is plain rediculous.... :rollno:

I have no idea who platinumplayer is or what his agenda is, just be careful with what you are saying.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's been going on here more often with all kinds of brands. Some idiot registers to sing the praises of "X" product never to be heard from again. It's always in ad-speak, never reads like an actual person talking about something they actually like. Sometimes they start the thread, sometimes the respond in it like this one. They send out their little search-bots looking for their name being mentioned on the web, then sign up and pull crap like that. In my free time, I'll dig up more examples for you.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    AcousticUSA does this. Couple other small outfit cab companies, usually ones who think they can do bass cabs just like guitar cabs. That's just off the top of my head. I can find more substantial links, etc.

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, it's not. It's commonplace, as will33 said. And if it's not Weber themselves sending in the shill, then it's a store, distributor, or other agent that stands to make money from this.

Or a 12-year-old writing posts out of pure fantasy, or one of our "regular" trolls who make new accounts just to post things like that in order to get a reaction.

15. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    I am very familiar with viral marketing and I do see its usage here on TB all the time, not only by the brands mentioned, but also by others, more repected brands.

Still, I do stand by my assertion that in the case of Max Weber this is most out of character. I do not know him personally, but everything I have heard about him and he way he seems to run his business makes the assertion highly implausible.

But hell... what do I know.................

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    As bongo refered to, there are quite a few steps between Max Weber and the end user. Importer/exporters, distributers, dealers, etc. My main point is, it's so in-your-face I don't see how anyone could see it as anything other than shilling. It is happening more often around here and it's a pretty scuzzy way of doing business IMO. Makes me take a mental note that says "don't buy anything from these @$$%0!*#".

This thing may be a great amp and Max Weber may be a really good guy but it isn't coming across that way. If this stuff isn't coming out of his office then perhaps someone should let him know his name is being publicly smeared.

17. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also I think sometimes we get overzealous endorsers who want to impress their brand's managers, or who just feel good about talking up the name, even if they don't get directly compensated for it.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Another good point. Then there are the ever-present folks who just plain like to hear themselves talk...it makes them feel important.:p

19. Wow! Just looked a year or two has gone by-- I'm like whaaaat the ...?????
    THIS is Exactly why I don't post on these discussion groups--
    IF you even see this, thanks for reminding me why I lay low.
    I just read these threads for info-- for years without ever even signing up I read talkbass-- I have noticed that info here is usually good, but gets messed up sometimes because at least once or more in a thread, talkative people just chime in for no reason when they don't even know anything... SO , HERE I AM,..
    I see a thread where I actually own and know about a piece of gear ( unlike those pesky chime ins when they don't even own the gear but seem so smart about it-- doncha just hate that? --------- Lol--expert text- spurt...!! hey wait, that sounds like a song!) SO, I see a post asking for info, I actually own that gear, I gigged with that gear, and now I figure what the hell, I 'll tell these guys right??
    So go figure, I'm suddenly a German spy and this a World War Ii movie!!!

To ALL concerned , I am American - i'm not endorsed by a German company( max weber, some dude who doesn't even speak english, some creative tech dude with about three helpers I would guess).

I will remember that if you like a bass or an amp, and you really like it alot, you'd better shut up - maybe people enjoy the never ending tone search( tone mongers?) GOD forbid the search ever end!! Maybe if they found what they need they would be bored because the search would be over! And they will accuse you of freaky **** -- defending the honor of the never ending search for life for gear - if it ends then it.'s no time for chit chat---it's time to play and write and work! And get chicks , fans, recognition , grammys, money,,,,,instead of blabbering!!! THAT would be awful!!!
    just Amazing!!! How do you spell p-a-r-a
    annoy ya?

Moral of the story,--->
    find what you like - then shhhhhhhhh- keep it secret!!!!
    just laugh at idiots! Watch them search and search!!! Helping is only for those who get paid ????

Adios , danka sherm or what ever!!
    CIA op signing off-
    Peace out