Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Myxolydian and... umh... uuh...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Alexvs, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Alexvs

Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I've never learned all those nice names all the scales (or is it modes) have, but I think i've learned how to play them...

If i start playing a C-Major pentatonic (a classic)
    like this:

Third fret on the A-string, fifth on the same string and so on until i reach the fifth fret on the G-string.

If i then play the exact same tones, but I begin playing at the fifth fret on the A-string, followed by the seventh fret on the same string, then the fifth and seventh fret on the two following strings, am I then playing a myxolidian or something like that, or is that something completely different.

Thank you!

2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolidian, Aeolian, Locrian, are the names of all the modes. Modes are kind of um.....scales within scales? I'm real bad at explaining this. Mixolidian is the mode that revolves around the 5th position in a scale. Here is an exerpt from "The Bass Grimore".

" A scale is a sequence of tones comprised of varying intervals. Modes can be described as scales based upon the tones of the main scale. The magor scale has 7 modes, becouse it has 7 tones. The 1st mode of any modal system is the scale itself. For many scales the individual modes have been given names because they are used as scales themselves.
    The modes of the major scale are the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolidian, Aeolian, and Locrian. The mode called Ionian is the major scale, the 2nd is dorian, and so on."

Hope this helps get you started. Once you catch on, It's pretty easy. Good luck!

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    moved to GI

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hmmm....I'm a little bit confused by the question. You might want to check out this thread. It contains links that may help you with modes and scales.

Are you talking about the regular C Major scale? (As in C D E F G A B C). The Mixolydian mode would be G Mixolydian: G A B C D E F G. This is based on the 5th step of the C Major scale.

I haven't done much studying on Pentatonics, so maybe someone else can explain that for you. :confused: