1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

N.A.D. - 1977 Fender Musicmaster Bass - Speaker Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    So, a little bit of a bummer discovered last night. Got ready to do an experimental speaker swap with a speaker I borrowed only to discover that the particle board front that the speaker is mounted in was separated and crumbling where two of the mounting studs are a screwed through it. Injected a bunch of wood glue and clamped it back together. Should be ok but now I have to wait. Part of the particle board frame for the grill cloth also broke when I removed it to do the repair. Now I have to fix it too. Both pieces of particle board are soft and mushy. Particle board?!? Really?!?!

2. Exactly why I kept my home built cabs instead of the MMB :) The late 70's Fender cabinets are a total pain to work with, and if your version of cab is anything like a Champ of the same era, replacing that baffle will require removing the MDF, the staples and glue that hold it into the dado, and putting in cleats to attach a new baffle to. All can be done with a piece of 1/2" ply and some 1x1 oak for cleats, if you're handy with tools.

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    This amp sounds great with an Ampeg 210 AV. I'd just make a head cabinet for this and pair it with a good cab.
    It's actually a great amp with the right speaker and tubes!

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This. I was never able to get anything satisfactory out of mine for bass and ended up putting the original speaker back in it and selling it to a harmonica player. Stock, it's a great harp amp for recording.

5. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Ok ok, I agree now. Tried an 8ohm Neo speaker out of one of my GK cabs. Amp is currently for sale on my local craigslist. Oh well, was a neat experiment.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Congrats on your fabulous yardsale find! :)

so how about this? I modded my Rumble 75 and put in an Eminence Neo. I still have this stock 12" Fender Special Design woofer.

014p1_zps4eb2f537.

It's boxed up, and ready to ship. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours! :hyper:

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Bummed it didn't work out. I actually just snagged one for guitar and keys at practice, and of course was hoping to run bass through it a bit. That said, I've tracked bass through a Vibro-Champ with good results...so to each their own. Thanks all for the speaker suggestions. I'm thinking of replacing the stock one and this thread has lots of good suggestions.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    At low volumes it will sound fine with the open back.

Here is what I would do in your shoes. Call US Speaker and talk to them about it. Every time I have used them, they spend a great deal of time with me on the phone making sure I get exactly the right speaker for my project.

Once you get it installed, try one of these.....
    SoundEnhancerSmallModelIH07.

It is an Enhancer amp stand. It basically takes the sound from the rear of the speaker and throws it out the bottom of the front of the stand. I wouldn't bother getting into a debate here with nay sayers. They will tell you how the physics doesn't work. All I know is that I have heard an open back guitar amp (again at lower volumes) sound GREAT With a bass using one of these. It sounded great for guitar as well. Just something to think about.

Either way, nice yard sale snag!!!!