1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

N(kinda)PD- Catalinbread SFT or 'reading manuals is actually good'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Blaargh, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    IMG_20171023_173414.
    So I snagged this ex-demo Catalinbread SFT off Reverb for £99 a few weeks back (including all the neat box goodies). Being a man I didn't read the manual at all and stuck it straight in front of my fuzz like I always order my overdrives. It sounded great on its own (it really does nail that classic Ampeg sound), and it can do everything from clean boost all the way through to full fuzz (the fuzz is akin to quite a smooth muff). Decent, but it didn't really jive with any other dirt I had, unlike the promo materials said it should.

Read the manual yesterday, and damn, I'm an idiot.

A) Sounds sick at 18v. Much higher headroom, handles anything you put through it.

B) It's amazing as the last dirt pedal in your chain. Makes a lot of settings on my Necromancer that were previously quite unusable sound massive. It thickens out where your lows are lost and adds some serious heft without losing the character of the fuzz.

C) Actually sounds really decent with my active EMG Jazz bass. Didn't seem like a natural combination, but it warms up the tone without losing the attack.

It's definitely a keeper- Probably as an always-on low/mid gain. It's going to be a lot of fun seeing how it interacts with any other fuzzes I buy in future. The only real downside is that the stones/stoner mode isn't a footswitch, which would be useful for keeping board-size down.

oysteivi and rjovin like this.
  2. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    I just got one over the weekend with the hopes of an always on od. I to always put my overdrives before my other dirts and this one was not working how i like.
    I shall be moving after my other dirts tonight when i get home from work!

3. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Yeah, The online manual is really informative. It makes I suppose- It's supposed to emulate an amp head after all. It suggests putting phasers (but not necessarily flangers/choruses?) in front of it too. It really is damned good when you do what you're supposed to!

4. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    I already have a plan worked out in head to try out when i get!