1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

N(O)AGD!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ShredderMaximus, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Just picked up a new (old) acoustic guitar today! The local computer repair shop owner was having a little garage sale type thing out of his shop today, and as we were driving by I noticed he was just bringing out an AG out to a table he had set-up so I stopped and checked it out and five minutes later I was off again to work with my wallet 25$ lighter and this in the back seat:
    0803120844-00.
    0803120910-00.
    0803120846-00.
    ^Says "Yamaha Dynamic Guitar"
    0803120845-00.
    From the -very- limited info I was able to find on this aged beauty, she was made in Japan sometime between 60' and 66' and is made from solid wood, no laminates. I'm no AG aficionado, but to my ears she sounds beautiful but needs a little tlc. She does show her age a bit but the only major damage are crumpled plastic tuner things and its missing the gear that tightens the high E string. I can live with the dents/scratches, imo shes is just bursting with mojo. :D

Anyone know what would work as a good replacement for the tuners/gear? Or is it going to be a full replacement?

And if anyone knows any further info on these models, it would also be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

:hyper:

2. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

Apr 3, 2012
    LA
    The tuners will probably need a full replacement, did the same on my old nylon string.
    unfortunately the tuners are gonna cost more than the guitar, but no more than $50
    Great find!

3. Thanks, thats kind of what I was figuring, but a little wishful thinking never hurt! Would you happen to have any recomendations for replacement tuners? I really know nothing about these things.

4. Uh oh, just noticed this...
    0803121032-00.

What do you guys think?
    :(

5. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I think you got what you paid for. It's likely not worth going all out on so if it plays alright I wouldn't worry about the split.

6. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Work some wood glue or white glue (Elmers) into the separation, then clamp and enjoy it.

7. Thanks DD, I'll try that. And yeah, I'm really not too worried about looks, I am not a re-selling type of guy.

But I've got one more question, based on the pics, what would be a good (and not terribly expensive) replacement for the tuners? Also what is the purpose of plastic sleeve thing (like what crumbled on mine) and does the replacement need to have them?

Thanks everyone.