N.O.S. P bass gas!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laklandman, Feb 11, 2006.

1. There's a shop about 20 minutes from my house that has a Teal colored USA Precision bass with a maple board. It's brand new, but being sort of a rural area, it's possible it's as old as 5 years. It has to be at least 3 yrs because it doesn't have the S1 switching and I haven't seen that light teal color in the Fender American color chart for awhile. Anyway, his tag says $699, and that includes a Fender hardshell case. I looked hard at that thing and couldn't find one imperfection. I know the guy, it's a "mom & pop" estavlishment and he is anal about his guitars. I aleays ask for his rag after handling guitars because I can tell he wipes them all down every day. Now I need another P bass like I need another hole in my head, but on the other hand, it's alder with a maple board, (my Bob Glaub is ash with a rosewood board strung with TI flats), I could string it with stainless rounds and have another P bass voice:bag: Guys...talk me out of it. You don't see that very often, I mean the price is not that great, but on the other hand, the Hwy. 1 basses are that price! Talk me out of it!!!

P.S. You know...I need to spend more time practicing, and less time looking at gear and posting my GAS on TB!!!
  2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Go ahead and get it. There's something very special about the alder body/maple fingerboard tone. It's probably my favorite combination though a lighter piece of ash and maple have similar characteristics.
  3. Yeah, Pete, that's the thought that was going through my head in the store, you seldom lose buying a new P bass, I just don't need it!

Allright, the little devil on my right shoulder has spoken, anyone care to be the little angel on my left shoulder? (I doubt it, I know you guys, and your gonna say ("go for it!)
  4. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, i wont pass up the chance to be an angel :D

think, you could.. pay a bill? or donate it to me :smug:

ok ok, i tried. so go buy it, damn it
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I think it would be unbecoming of any TB'er to convince another not to buy a P-bass, especially when it's such a good deal. That's just not right! (In fact, I've seen recent MIA P-basses sell for over $700 on eBay in recent months, so you might even get your money back if you decide to sell.)

I got almost exactly the same deal in late 2004: $700 for an alder/maple Am. Ser. P, but it was newer and has the S-1 switch. It's an excellent bass, and I'm sure some samples are even better. I think the maple board adds sustain and a little "pop" to cut through the mix, but mine doesn't have quite the "woodiness" I've heard with some rosewood P's. Overall I prefer the maple though. I thought the stock pickup had low output and a slightly muddy low end, but cured that with a Seymour Duncan Hot for P-bass. Assuming this one plays well, you really can't go wrong.