1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

n-pin

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Just wanted to put in a plug for the n-pin. I got one on my bass and wow, what a great product. No more tips and screws coming loose anymore. The quick-release locking mechanism is fantastic and the bonus is the weight saving with the carbon fiber rod. Far superior to anything else I've ever seen.

http://www.n-pin.com

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yup, they're pretty nice all right! :)

3. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    It looks pretty cool, but that collet mechanism can't be light!

4. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    The collet might be the heaviest part of the whole thing in relative terms, but the entire endpin assembly is the lightest endpin I have ever had. This was actually the first impression right out of the box: "boy, this thing is light"

The only thing I had to do is replace the rubber that comes with the magnet tip. I replaced it with a cane rubber tip from a medical store. I had to cut it with a knife and carve it to a rounder shape, akin to the original, otherwise it doesn't sit stably when you play in sitting because there is more of an angle.
    This was not a huge deal, it took me 5 min, and cost me only a few dollars.

5. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Is there a commercial rubber tip that lasts for more than a couple months on a bass? I've never come across one. My theory is that manufacturers test thier products on 'cellos and figure "if it works on a 'cello its gotta work on bass...".
    I use a synthetic wine cork, and they last about 2-4 years. the only draw back is thay can get a little slippery when they get dirty.

6. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    The N-Pin plug weighs 185 grams, the whole thing is 313 grams.

The Brent Norton aluminium collet is 155 grams - with drumstick it is 192 grams.

The Metropolitan Music Ebony plug and drumstick I prefer is about 190 grams.

Contrast with the Gotz endpin at 595 grams!

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have been using this one from KC Strings. It doesn't unxrew all the time, and is STURDY!!! The shape allows you to play the bass if youy play sitting down due to the unusual shape of the tip. Works GREAT! And heavy duty, as well. VERY nice tip!
    [​IMG]

www.kcstrings.com/bass-machines.html

Scroll 1/2 way down the page. You'll see it. Good luck!!

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Exactly. I can feel the difference too when carrying the bass.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The one that came with my Gotz is about 8 years old.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Same deal on my La Scala... no wear at all.

11. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    It is excellent. Though, I would have preferred two things:

1) Dot inlays on the rod to provide a height gauge.

2) A plug that can be screwed onto the tip. During travel (putting it in and out of the car) the magnetic ball can fall off. A lot of people have voiced this concern and apparently Nick is re-modeling the N-pin in the fall.

12. Looks like the quickrelease from the front wheel of my bicycle...

13. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    That's exactly what it is.

14. Did any of you guys notice any sonic differences with this endpin?

15. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    In my case I did but the endpin I had on before was junk.

16. On my new bass the endpin is a hollow aluminum tube one that I'm not incredibly fond of because it feels unstable to be, it kind of flexes when I'm playing and also has a very dull tip. I was think of replacing it anyways with a solid pin, but the bass seems to sound good with a light end pin, so maybe this would be the best compromise. Do you think its worth double the cost for half the weight?

17. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Adrian, would you know the diameter of the wheel adapter shaft? I'm looking for 1/2 inch.

18. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
  19. I use a commercial crutch tip from a medical supply store. They last 2 or 3 years and I play every day. An old red-rubber type crutch tip that you can't get any more lasted 20+ years of everyday playing and never slipped. I think it rotted before it wore out.

20. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    The shaft on the N-Pin I have here in stock is just under 14mm or .549 inches.