N(R)BD - New Refinished Ibanez Talman Firemist Gold (Pat Wilkins)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, Apr 26, 2019.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Just wanted to post a few pics of another one of Pat Wilkins' refinishing works of art.

Backstory:

I have a couple of Ibanez Talman 5-strings, but for whatever reason Ibanez has decided that the 5-string Talman is only going to be made in Black - period. o_O While the 4-string Talmans have about a dozen colors to choose from. :bored:

That wasn't going to work very well in the long run, so I decided to have one refinished.

I knew Pat Wilkins' name & reputation are impeccable both inside & outside of TB, and there was no doubt I was going to be using Pat from the start. That was the easy choice.

Choosing the color, on the other hand, was not such an easy choice. I definitely wanted something a lot more fun & lively than the standard issue Black. However, the Talman has such a strong vintage-vibe body styling - I wanted something that would work along those lines too. Not some color that would be distracting from that vibe.

So I was surfing the internet looking up vintage colors, trying to decide on something and saw a color called Firemist Gold - I'd heard of Shoreline Gold, but this is a slightly different color. It's a beautiful, golden/yellowish metalflake finish from the mid-60's. It definitely ticked all the boxes (fun color, vintage, unique) I knew that was it! Definitely a color that you just don't see much these days - although it would be nice to see it start to make a comeback.

This is a tough color to capture accurately, at least for my cellphone camera. My cell camera is really struggling with getting the correct hue of it right & tends to hide the best part about this finish - the metalflake, which gives a HUGE amount of depth and sparkle in the finish. So please excuse some of these pictures - some look kinda flat & one-dimensional and don't do much justice to Pat's hard work - but that's the work of my camera, not Pat's.

I've tried to include a couple of closeup shots hoping to capture the metalflake better. In person, it's a really gorgeous finish!

Here are a few pics: (Full Res pics can be found here).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    ejaggers, exidor, EmuBass and 92 others like this.
  2. Very cool.

I'm with you on wanting colors other than black. My Squier Musicmaster was originally black, just didn't like it. The decision was made easier by it's rough condition too.

Excellent and classy look with that gold!

Nunovsky and stingray69 like this.
  3. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thank you - I'm very happy with how it turned out. Pat does amazing work!

Usually Ibanez is very good at offering a wide range of colors, but for whatever reasons, they've really left the 5-string players kinda twisting in the wind with the Talman model. :rollno:

Rant over. Lol.

Here's my other Talman in Black - I did spruce it up (and the Firemist Gold one) with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5 pickups in the bridge positions and acrylic pickguards from Pickguardian.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Glenn Mac, Mili, JoshS and 8 others like this.
  4. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    That is an outrageously beautiful. Does anyone know that black is not a color. It is the lack of all color.

gregouille23, stingray69 and BassmanM like this.
  5. Sweet, again, no fan of black but that PG does alot to brighten it up.

zapped777 and stingray69 like this.
  6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I love that firemist gold! Looks waaaaayyyy better than black (although that one is even kinda nice too... ). Really digging those Talmen now. ;):thumbsup:

xbud and stingray69 like this.
  7. doggo

doggo

Dec 18, 2008
    Wilmette, IL
    Wow. That's a gorgeous bass!

zapped777, Clutchcargo and stingray69 like this.
  8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Very nice. Could you post more pic(s) showing the entire bass with the new look?

9. MTMTEX

MTMTEX

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Pat has my Ovation Magnum right now and I’m like a kid the night before Christmas waiting on it to come back! That Talman looks great.

stingray69 likes this.
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Dig those pickguards too. Nice choice on the Firemist, I have an old P bass in that color

stingray69 likes this.
  11. L Anthony

L Anthony

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Very nice on the gold (and the black one looks sweet also with your upgrades)! :thumbsup: :hyper::hyper:

(And send a picture to Ibanez to show them what they should be doing!)

1BassDreamer, stingray69 and emjazz like this.
  12. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks - maybe I should! :laugh:

You know what they say, when you want something done right...:whistle:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    L Anthony and emjazz like this.
  13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Pat's a true master at refins, but I'm thinking you already know that. ;)

When is yours due back?

Blues Bass 2 likes this.
  14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How many months did you have to wait until you got your bass back?

15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Although black is my go to "color" your bass is amazingly awesome!

stingray69 likes this.
  16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks, I think the pickguards really add a nice finishing touch. As far as the color, I'm very happy with it. I don't know if anyone's Firemist Gold of today exactly matches the original DuPont paint formula from back in the day. Would love to see a pic of your Firemist P if you happen to have some around. :thumbsup:

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Noyce!!!

stingray69 likes this.
  18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area

Pat quoted 5 weeks and made good on that quote.

In fact, I think he had it done in 4 weeks. Took about 2-3 days for shipping.

I unloaded all the hardware, electronics and neck and sent him just the body.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Mine is a refin also but its pretty close to what you have there

stingray69 likes this.
  20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

You're lucky!

stingray69 likes this.