N.u.A.D! TH 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by And I, Feb 27, 2017.

1. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    NEW used AMP DAY FOR ME! First one in... 10 years?

The GK MB 500 is a tremendous amp. Compared to the Auilgar Tonehammer 500 I just got, it's like apples and baseballs. They are both versatile amps in their own right, but their sounds couldn't be more different. I might actually call them night and day... Even with the treble knob all the way down on the MB, it's still got more air on top than the TH.

I have a lot more exploration to do to get a handle on the gain / drive / mid knob interactions. But I was easily able to dial in a tone that I liked within seconds of plugging in. It's louder than expected as well. Next rehearsal is Thursday but already just messing around I can tell it's got what I remember and like from the one time I gigged on one.

Super smooth sale from @Deepwoods -- thanks again man!

20170227_162654.jpg

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    very different heads.
    Much more overhead / tone richness in the TH;
    Much more clarity / accuracy in the GK.

I had a TH and it just didn't really work for me - but I sold it to a bud who plays in a Santana tribute band and he simply adores it. Gives him a big wooly thump that's perfect for that music.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. Congrats. The Aggy does have a lotta scope with the eq but, I, too was able to get a great tone outta it in minutes of opening it for the first time. It sits so well in a mix
    Of course it ain't for everyone

Jeff Scott likes this.
  4. joel406

joel406 Inactive

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    GK or Mesa I believe are the best game in town right now. I have the MB800 and a Subway D-800+. Hard to pick which one to use.

Munjibunga likes this.
  5. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I play all funk/soul/rootsy rock so I think the tonehammer tone will fit. The gk isn't going anywhere... But I feel it's also not going on any gigs either for a while. ;)

Jeff Scott likes this.
  6. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    Congrats on the new amp! I totally agree about those two amps being night and day

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have those also and feel the same way. I think the D800+ is slightly more voiced than the MB800, but both sound great. But I wouldn't necessarily say they're the best game in town - you know my leanings.

8. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Had a rehearsal last night and first impression was good. The cab I play with at rehearsal is a 2x12 Epifani with a blown (so turned off) tweeter. very different from my gk neo 112s, but still a good test since I know what the rig sounds like. The Epi is 4 ohms, and i hadn't had both my 112s hooked up to it before. And man is it LOUD. With gain and drive around 11 o'clock, it was loud enough to keep up with a drummer, guitarist, singer, and two horns (keyboardist was sick but i think it would have kept up with him too) with the master volume at 10 o'clock. I tried bringing the gain down to 9:30ish but found i prefer the sound with a little bit of grind to it...

9. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Tried it with a gk neo 112 today at other band‘s rehearsal. Great combination! Clarity for days and plenty of growl when I needed it.