1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

N(U)BD: Squier Bronco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-34, Apr 5, 2020.

1. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Playing this bass and the Brite Flats since 2 months and the G is still too bright, sticking out too much compared to other strings :(
    A shame, because D A and E are sounding fine as they are...

2. Michael Sinclair

Michael Sinclair

Apr 24, 2014
    Scotland
    I've just picked up a Bronco and humming and haaing over pickup options (Too much choice) but your pickups sound and look fantastic! Where are they from? Also what bridge did you upgrade to?

3. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    It's these: Look Vintage Hot Rail double bobinage 8.5k P74 | eBay

The same pickups are marketed under many brands on ebay - Artec, GFS and others. It's just a generic "hot rails" pickup under a fancy cover, no more.

As a tip: don't bother with non-standard wiring, the default "two bobbins in series" is the only one that makes sense. I tried wiring in parallel or splitting into a single coil - it doesn't sound good and has too low output.

The bridge is (are) generic individual bridges, I've already had some lying around and just reused them.
    Similar to these:
    4-SIMPLE String Bass Bridge Guitar Parts Noir pour Guitare Basse de remplacement | eBay

GotRoot? likes this.
  4. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Sorry for the links translated to french, ebay.fr did that, not me :D

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Oh, and another cover
    Both pickups, tone at 50%

GotRoot? and jallenbass like this.
  6. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Neck pickup only, tone at 60%

GotRoot?, LarryG and sears like this.
  7. How does the SX sound compared to the Bronco?

8. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    The SX is very much a regular precision bass, the Bronco has less sustain and less highs but is somewhat close to PB. It's like a greasy dirty PB but also easier to play :)

Aiden1382 likes this.