1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

N(used)AD Shuttle 6.2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cowboy in Latvia, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I am a happy cowboy. Today I traded a bit of gear for a used GB Shuttle 6.2. I think that we both got a good deal and have really enjoyed playing with the settings as there are so many different options (hence the funky settings you see). Not only that, it looks bad-*** with my Vanderkley. It also was in fantastic shape with no noisy pots and only a slight hiss from my single-coils when the gain went higher. I tried maxing it out but the whole place was rattling well before I made it past 2:00 on the master. I'm sure my neighbors would have appreciated it too :woot: . It also got the wifey seal of approval as she enjoys a good bass tone as much as I do. Anyway less talk, more pictures.

shuttle.
    vandekley shuttle.

So, now that I've got it I'm a bit curious about which tube might be the best for the preamp. It gets nice and over-driven as-is with a JJ tube in but I was wondering if anybody had a preferred tube for the pre. I've got a Groove Tubes 12AX7 that might be a good one but I hesitate to change a good tube for the sake of change. I would rather know for certain which tube(s) have yielded good results in this amp.

Now it's time to go practice :hyper::bassist: .

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The differences in tubes will not be very striking as the circuit is intentionally designed to minimize the differences over a very wide range of tube parameters. This way, nobody gets bad tone from a tube that's not "perfect".

One thing I have seen though is folks changing tubes and being rough on the sockets and the retainer. Bent pins especially, forced into the socket can crush a socket contact. If you change tubes, be gentle. There should only be a small amount of tension when setting the tube retainer back into position. I have also seen this metal bent by techs/players who try to bend it out of the way rather than properly removing it.

I usually recommend leaving well enough alone these days.

3. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a Shuttle 9.0 that has a Groove Tube in it, though I don't know exactly which model (manufacturer) it is.

I think that compared to some guitar gear I have, I don't hear as much uniqueness from the particular tube variety in the Shuttle. So I stayed with the GT that the previous owner had in there, and the fancy old Amperex with its chiming voice is still in my guitar stuff.

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  4. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks for the recommendation. That works for me as I would rather not mess with something if there is little or nothing to be gained.

wave rider and agedhorse like this.
  5. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    After almost an hour on this rig I am loving it even more. It's almost killed my GAS for amp heads. The only problem is that now I want a Mesa WD800 and a Genzler because the next generation has to be better right?... I think that I'm OK until I get the dream job to pay for it though.

Now I own the best amp, cab and bass that I have ever tried. I have 2 of my 3 favorite pedals too. All that's left is to put in the practice time to make it all worth while. With my recent church gig that should be no problem.

6. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Congratulations, I have owned the shuttle 6.0 since 2008 and a lot of amplifiers have come and gone but the shuttle has always remained. It's just a great amplifier.

7. Congrats, great amp.
    Iirc, I often used a recommended setting that had both low boost and mid scoop buttons on....(wait for it)
    Then the mid freq dial was right down at about 7.30 (o'clock) & mid level boosted to 2 o'clock.
    Again, great amp, it's one I wished Id kept

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Congrats. The Shuttle 6.2 is my second favorite GB amp, the Shuttlemax 12.2 being my fave. I still own the 6.2 as a backup to my Shuttlemax.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I still own and use regularly my 10-year old Shuttle6.0, although my "main" rig includes the Mesa Boogie D800+. The Shuttle still gets plenty of use, though. Congrats!

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Nice head but why is nobody mentioning that cab? Why have I never heard of that beast?

11. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    ...and it is a beast. Made in the Netherlands and the preferred amplification of Scott Devine of Scott's bass lessons. It's loud, reasonably light, sounds amazing and looks great (to me). Vanderkely, no affiliation here, has joined my top 3 cab brands along with Barefaced and Ampeg.

jeff7bass likes this.
  12. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Congrats! I believe these Genz Benz heads to be the best in the game for Class D amplification.

13. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Similar to my settings, except i don't engage the mid scoop. I don't gig with it anymore as I perform ampless, but I still use it at every rehearsal. Love it.

14. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I really wish I had the amp last Saturday. I had to use an old hartke 115 combo in a cathedral. The mud was unbelievable and was solved by a lot of EQ which left my sound a bit thin. This amp/cab would have given me a bit more to play with I think. The heft without a lot of rumble is a nice change.

15. I played a Shuttle 3.0 and a 9.0 for a long time. They are great heads.. Now I have the Genzler 800 & 350. I do like them more... but that is not a diss towards the Shuttles. They are great heads.

16. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I always love Genz Benz threads on TB. I am still very much in love with my 6.2, and have a 6.0 as backup. Not much to say except it always sounds amazing and always works.

17. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I started to go and get one Of the new heads you mentioned, but decided to go used. I bought a ShuttleMax 12.0. I’ll let you know what I think once it arrives and I have time to acclimate myself to it.

18. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm still in love with mine. I hope you love yours just as much. The whole 2-channel only thing threw me a bit when I was looking into them but after trying the 6.2 I am a lot less skeptical.

agedhorse and woody357 like this.