N.W.A. recomendations please.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dudemeister, Oct 7, 2002.

1. I haven't listened to much hip-hop or rap before, but I'm slowly starting to like it. I've listened to some swedish groups (Sedlighetsroteln, Looptroop and such) and very little House of Pain and Cypres Hill (and of course a lot of Beastie Boys) but very few other bands.
    Today I was at a friends house and he put on the NWA record Niggaz4Life. Despite the sexist lyics I thought it was really good.
    What do you think should be the first NWA record to buy and what other records do you recomend for the average newbe hip-hop consumer.
  2. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    straight outa Compton. word
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    a crazy motha ****a named StupidMatt...

uhhhh sigh, I'm white.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    While I am a hip hop enthusiast, I am not very versed in NWA material. however I can still recommend a great deal of Rap that you would be sure to love. or my names not Wrong ****ing Robot.
    at any rate....If I were you I'd check out Hieroglyphics-3rd eye vision
    Blackalicious- anything from him is great
    Gang Starr - moment of truth
    jurassic 5 - Quality Control
    Del(from hieroglyphics) - Both sides of the brain
    eazy e(this guy is classic...he's from NWA) - Straight of the streets of mutha ****ing compton
    and for your posterity
    the godfather of rap as we know it
    Kurtis Blow
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd reccomend

Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest
  6. efil4zaggin is a classic. If I had to pick one NWA album that would be it. Althought the absence of Ice Cube is felt.
  7. I depspise hip-hop and rap in general, but there are exceptions to every rule. Such as....

The Roots(great at thier instruments, which reminds me, you guys should get the Jay-Z unplugged album, it rocks.)
    Public Enemy(duh)
    Too Short(he's just kind of cool)
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh speaking of Too Short, I think this is one of his songs... does anyone know what song this is...

"Strip, Get 'em off girl, don't make me chase you
    Strip, Get 'em off girl, don't make me beat that ass bitch"

Brilliant, yes? I think it's Too Short... but what's it called?
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Don't forget about Kool Keith! Black Elvis/Lost In Space is a classic!

.....mechanical legs...mechanical legs....

Dilated Peoples need mentioning, Black Eyed Peas as well.
  10. If you like hip hop I highly suggest Atmosphere. By far the best stuff out of this genre since tribe.
  11. jellew

Sep 27, 2008
    If you like looptroop you could try to listen to promoes solo albums, long distance runner is good. Looptroop and some promoe albums is probebly the only hip hop that I believe is really good
  12. I think Boogie Down Productions with KRS ONe and Public Enemy - "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back" Are head and shoulders above anything out today.
  13. Caiiz

Jan 22, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Since we're bass players here, I think we ought to mention Snoop Dogg's "Doggy Style". There are serious grooves on that album...
  14. rezin

Sep 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    honestly, i'd much rather listen to an early ice cube solo cd than any nwa cd. anything predator or before
  15. Lotta good rap being mentioned in this thread!
    Like the first reply mentioned Straight Outta Compton is the classic NWA album with all fiive guys.
    Personally I'm a massive Dre/G Funk fan so with that I can only recommend the G funk album and my favourite rap album ever.
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic The Rap Album. Nothing comes close to this in my opinion. If you wanna see where Dre (and the rest of hip hop) went after the NWA days this is what you need
  16. baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    not a huge NWA fan, but other "entry" hip hop IMO:

A Tribe Called Quest
    Pharcyde (and Fat Lip's solo stuff)
    Dead Prez
    Josh Martinez
    The Streets
    Mos Def
  17. Big ups on the Dead Prez!!
    One of my favourite groups out there atm. They taking over!
  18. Where ya from fool?...Compton ...yeah

Straight Outa Compton, fo sho
  19. fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    Wow. TB'ers have good taste in hip hop. I'm not a very big fan, but you guys have mentioned just about all the hip hop artists that I like:

Kool Keith
    Jurassic 5
    Public Enemy
    Tribe Called Quest

Makes me want to put on some hip hop!
  20. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I want to point out a related album here, but one that has some significant differences, as well: The D.O.C.'s "No One Can Do It Better." The D.O.C. was a writer and performer on both N.W.A.'s seminal "Straight Outta Compton" and Eazy E's debut solo album, "Eazy-Duz-It." Dr. Dre produced the album, and The D.O.C.'s delivery and lyrical content very much represents his East Coast heroes. While it doesn't make it onto the radar as much as it should, it is considered a masterpiece by those who do know it.

Just to toss it in there, if you venture in to G Funk, you might have a look at some of DJ Quik's albums, specifically "Safe & Sound" and "Rhythm-al-ism." That's not to count out the two major label releases he had before, "Quik Is the Name" and "Way 2 Fonky," it's just that they weren't G Funk. Also, if you find you like G Funk, you may also want to look into a related sub-genre, Mobb Music (which subsequently leads into Hyphy), with artists like E-40, Too $hort, Dru Down and Spice 1.

One more thing, if you want to look at something more modern, I'll put my stamp of approval on Rhymefest.