Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

n00b amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Revelation-JC, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Revelation-JC

Revelation-JC

Feb 20, 2004
    Hey guys a friend of mine directed me over here from short-media.com to figure out What amp to get! Tom I am going to go buy my first Bass guitar and start practicing and learning. I have the bass picked out but I dunno what amp to get. I really dont want to spend more than 200 for an amp Got any sugestions?

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'll second that, you can get some amazing stuff used for great prices. I take it from your post like you said you are just starting out, I would say try and find a combo amp with either a 12" or 15" speaker and you should be set for a few years. First if buying used isn't a problem to you, I would say go to your local music shop and try out some combos and see which one you like best. If the combo is more then the $200 that you are willing to spend then you could go to the classifieds section here and see if something comes up or place an add in the Wanted forum explaining what your needs are and what you have to work with. If you are unable to go to a local shop and try out some amps I would say place an add in the wanted section with all the info that you have and as offers come in do research and ask questions about each amp and narrow it down to what you want and will best suit you. There is an insain amount of knowledge on this site and is accessable by using the search function. In my expierience everyone here is honest and great to deal with. Best of luck and welcome to talkbass.
    peace
    -Ben

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I was going to post this link last night but my computer was acting up and it was late so I decided to wait until morning. There is a Peavey TKO 115 combo for sale for $225, I know that is $25 more then what you said you are willing to spend, but in my expierience when I was starting out I didn't have an amp for a few years being I had to buy everything myself, then I bought a Peavey Basic 60, then a Peavey TNT 115 and after that I moved on to head and cab configurations. The TKO is 75 watts my first amp was 60, I still have it today, a pretty loud 60 watts as well (not enough to keep up with my band by no means alone). The beauty of a combo amp is when you are starting out it's great to practice, or jam out with friends, as your needs grow you can get something bigger and you can sell the combo to someone who is in the same position you were once in. Or you can be like me and be sentimental about your frist amp and keep it and use it as a practice amp while leaving your big rig at rehersal space. I hope I didn't go on to much haha sorry about my rant, I hope I helped out.
    Peace
    -Ben

Click Here