1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

n00b bass player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by totaldoughnut, May 30, 2011.

1. totaldoughnut

totaldoughnut

Apr 30, 2011
    Ive been researching threads in these forums for a while now, the information and knowledge on this site is amazing. Im a 39yo lefty that recently decided to try and learn the bass, been alot of fun so far. Not looking for flames from the elitists here just wanted to chat about my experience so far. I ended up getting a Davison lefty base package to learn with. The amp it came with is buzzy and crap. Been running it through my old Kenwood reciever thats connected to two old kicker 12" subs and tweeters. To my rookie ears I think it sounds pretty good, much better than that little chinese amp. The bass needed alot of setup to stop the buzzing. Im a diesel mechanic so I never own stuff very long without taking it apart :). Just ordered some qp pups, dáddario chrome flatwounds, and some copper shielding tape. Looking forward to the tinkering time and to see how it sounds after. Ive been self teaching myself with info from this site, studybass.com, and songsterr. Ill keep at it and build up this bass, eventually ill upgrade to something else, but for now what I have is fun for me. I appreciate all the info you all provide on this site and any suggestions you have to my introduction post.

2. damn! when i saw the name of the thread i was all like "AH FRESH MEAT!!"

just joking of course. welcome, but be careful! i'm pretty convinced TB uses inception to give you G.A.S.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    That's awesome. Keep at it, it is a lot of fun. Starting out your tinkering obsession ( trust me, it will blossom into a full blown obsession) with a low end bass was an excellent idea.

4. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Banned

Dec 13, 2010
    Just remember that no website or book will ever be a good substitute for real, live playing. Once you get comfortable, try to get out to some open mics or blues jams and take it from there. Most important: HAVE FUN!

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, that's what it's all about. Enjoy!

6. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    All the best to a newbie - I'm a few years older than you and been at it for almost a year myself!! Lots yet to learn, keep at it. Play, play, play, all I can say. Beware of the need for new gear - my first rig was an Indonesian Fender P and amp for a whopping total of $225 - my most recent acquisition is a G&L L2000 that I paid a LOT more for - but WELL worth the cost.

GREAT group here, you'll learn a LOT!!

Have fun!!

Chris

7. OUT51D3R

OUT51D3R

Feb 1, 2011
    Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. 34yo lefty(though I play righty), 3 months into bass playing, no previous musical experience. I'm also a techy and I'm REALLY itching to replace my pups/preamp, but I promised myself I wouldn't dump more money into the hobby until 6 months in to be sure I'm gonna stick with it. I played for 4 hours straight today, so the odds on that are looking pretty good.

Like you, I'm self teaching using stuff from this site, Studybass, and songsterr. I've got a couple other suggestions you might find helpful. Take a look at Guitarpro, it's a really handy piece of software. Also, think about getting a headphone amp(I use a Vox Amplug Bass) so you can practice anywhere. I actually take my bass to work with me most days, and get in an extra half hour or so of practice on coffee/lunch breaks.

8. If you do not jam with others, best advice ever....get a drum machine. It will add more fun to practicing and improve your timing.

9. totaldoughnut

totaldoughnut

Apr 30, 2011
    I appreciate all the advice so far. I mostly just created this thread to get a chance to chat with you all and introduce myself. So go ahead and flame away ironlung, I can take it haha. By no means do I think I have a great bass here, but im sure replacing the junk pups and strings and some tuning will make it much better than it is. Im actually anxious to take this thing apart and see what kind of crap plywood they used for the body haha. But for now its my only bass and my baby until I feel ive advanced enough to get something else. One thing ive definately learned is a very high appreciation of the talent it takes to play a string instrument.

10. totaldoughnut

totaldoughnut

Apr 30, 2011
    Another thing that amazes me is that now that ive been practicing the bass and learning its sound im able to hear it in everyting. What I mean is that when I listen to music, or commercials and what not the bass guitar really stands out to me, where as before it just kind of blended in with the music. Does that make sense?

11. Of course it does, your ears are now trained to focus on the low end :)

Try to get a similar feel for drum parts, not just hearing the drums but really understanding what is being played, and it will help you with your bass parts immensely!

12. totaldoughnut

totaldoughnut

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks I will try that. I have to admit I didnt practice on the bass today. Well actually I did run across the open strings with my fingers while I consumed alot of beer. Stressful day at work.

13. AQP

AQP

May 31, 2011
    Fellow pseudo newbie here, I'm a lefty playing righty ,started playing about a year and a half ago with a Silvertone starter kit and stuck with it long enough that I'm pretty decent playing by ear, my tempo may started a little slower training my right hand to move quickly (now busting my tail learning how to slap) but I picked up enough that I just upgraded my bass and amp as a personal reward :). I concur do get something with a drum kit like a Korg Pandora (The PX4D has a great option where you can plug in an MP3 player and it will take the bass out of the song for you) or a Zoom multi effects pedal it will definitely keep the practice interesting and give you some nice soundeffects to play with - plus you can still use it when you move up to your next bass!

14. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    As I was growing up I would ALWAYS pick out the basslines - to me, >THAT< was the magic in the mix - and still is!! Why I waited until now to play is a question I'll always ask myself....

Chris

15. Try using a right-handed amplifier. ;)